• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installing TEMPLATES

osboy

Hello all,

I bought some templates in order to get on and set up my store, as I don't have the tech and code knowledge to transform the power of Oscommerce into a well designed appearance.

I have removed oscommerce from my server and plan to reinstall freshly and use the template design. Now my stumbling point is how to install the template?? Pretty much a major stumble!

Could anyone please let me know the steps to take? DO I need to firstly install Oscommerce and then upload the template, OR do I copy the template files onto the server first and then copy oscommerce (1 suggestion)??

Many thanks in advance.

install osc first, then copy over all the files in the oscommerce template files

the template files will overwrite the default osc setup and you will have your "Custom?" look

HTH

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

install osc first, then copy over all the files in the oscommerce template files

the template files will overwrite the default osc setup and you will have your "Custom?" look

HTH

Hi and thanks very much for your help.

I've opened Tools>File Manager from within Oscommerce to copy files over. Now in the template folderle I have 7 folders, from admin,download,images,includes,install,pub & source, to an .htaccess and then a further 46 php scripts. The includes and images folders are straight forward as to where they can be copied, but not the php scripts?? Can I also copy the folders over or do they need to be opened and individually copied??

Can this be done via the oscommerce file manager or does it need doing via my cpanel?

Many thanks in advance..

HTH

I've tried that recently as well, and after overwriting the original installed files with files from a template, I get the error saying it could not connect to the database...

any clues what went wrong?

I've tried that recently as well, and after overwriting the original installed files with files from a template, I get the error saying it could not connect to the database...

any clues what went wrong?

=========================

Hi

I ran into that problem before also. When overwriting the files leave the configure.php file which is in the /includes folder.

That file is where the database info is at.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

=========================

Hi

I ran into that problem before also. When overwriting the files leave the configure.php file which is in the /includes folder.

That file is where the database info is at.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

thanx, for the help! that solved one problem...the new template now appears, however, when I try to go into my admin interface, I get an error saying:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/myname/public_html/shop/catalog/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

and so I cannot even access the os admin interface now...any clue on which other file(s) I shouldn't have overwritten?

you now will need to edit the configure.php files to show correctly your mySql connect user name and password

so just update the configure.php files to be how they should be, if you need help post them here (don't include hard core personal data) and the forums will help you

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

no he shouldn't, his question is valid and is welcome here

so "new new", just edit your admin/includes/configure.php file to reflect the correct paths and it seems you will be set

HTH

---Margaret Mead---

--Ken Kesey"

no he shouldn't, his question is valid and is welcome here

so "new new", just edit your admin/includes/configure.php file to reflect the correct paths and it seems you will be set

HTH

Thank you everyone for pointing me towards the right direction. I basically looked for all configure.php files (there are more than one) and made sure everything in there is pointed to the right thing and it appears to work now. I can access my admin interface again. :)

Thank you so much!

anytime, and feel welcome here and ask away, that is the purpose of the forums, your question wasn't about the template it was about the configure.php files that is why I had no problem with the question

---Margaret Mead---

--Ken Kesey"

Archived