• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do I need to do with "Fill tags" page?

bzboy

Hello, I just recently had the header tags and SEO mod installed...I have manually typed in the Titles, keywords and descriptions for all of the products/categories.....

I noticed the Header tags>fill tags section and I wanted to know if I needed to do anything with this section?

Im a newbie to this and need some help...Thank you

filltags2.jpg

:thumbsup: You will probably get a quicker response if you ask over at the Header Tags Controller thread (see link in the text provided with the contribution).

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

fill tags are for any page you have added the code to:

<?php
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?> 
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
?>

The code above replaces:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>"> 

Once that has been done to all your root pages then when you go to the option "Text control" you can custom add the title, keywords, and description for each page, but if you don't want to do that then you can use the fill tags option and it will auto fill for you

HTH

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

<?php
} else {
?> 
<?php
}
?>

The code above replaces:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>"> 

Once that has been done to all your root pages then when you go to the option "Text control" you can custom add the title, keywords, and description for each page, but if you don't want to do that then you can use the fill tags option and it will auto fill for you

HTH

OK...Make me look like the "bad" guy. :lol: (you "are" correct regarding the fill tags info)

:thumbsup: Here is the link to useful HTC information (just in case you have more HTC questions):

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1127644

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

<?php
} else {
?> 
<?php
}
?>

The code above replaces:

HTH

im still a bit confused (im a newbie), is this section something I should definitely do to get results? please forgive me but I dont understandwhat I am supposed to do....

im still a bit confused (im a newbie), is this section something I should definitely do to get results? please forgive me but I dont understandwhat I am supposed to do....
Brad, the safest thing to do would be to run the "fill tags" option. This will automatically add the metatags to your shops pages that will be picked up by the search engines.

Run the Fill Tags option. Then to see what it did, open your shop in a different browser window, select "view source" in the browsers "view" menu (for IE anyway).

:thumbsup: You should see the info that was added to your shop's pages such as the title, keyword, descriptions, etc.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

<?php
} else {
?> 
<?php
}
?>

The code above replaces:

HTH

let me make sure I understand......so if I manually typed in all of the descriptions,keywords, titles for all of the products/categories, do I still need to use the "fill tags" section? since I manually typed in all of the keywords/descriptions? or am I missing the idea?

Here is the text control page screen shot for my page....please let me know if I need to change anything etc:

tagstextcontrol.jpg

thank you!.... will this override all of the keywords/descriptions I have already typed in for all of my products? and what info will this be adding? for example, will it be the same for all of the products/categories? and for the "Fill products meta description with Products Description?" do I select yes or no?

Archived