• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where do I install osCommerce ?

PBT

Hi all,

I have been looking around for a while for a cart system, and osCommerce seems to tick all my boxes, but I just have a question before I take the plunge.

I have a normal: www.mydomain.com, and a working sub-domain with SSL of: secure.mydomain.com.

Where do I install osCommerce - in the www root, or the secure root (which in reality is a sub-directory of www anyway) ?

Thanks,

Paul

Unless someone comes along with a good reason NOT to..

I'd say here:

www root

;)

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Why does everyone try to use SSL with their oscommerce stores anyway? I don't understand it... there's no reason for it. Why use SSL? When you're taking credit card numbers & sensitive information, right? Well, with oscommerce, all of your customers are routed over to your payment gateway's site (Paypal, 2co, etc) to make the payment, which is over an SSL connection, then they are brought back to your site.

There is absolutely no reason you need to even try to fool with SSL 99.9% of the time. What are you trying to encrypt? Your products?

What are you trying to encrypt?

Account names and passwords to avoid possible identity theft/fraud.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

Account names and passwords to avoid possible identity theft/fraud.

Thats funny... I don't recall giving my username and password over an SSL connection when I signed up on this forum... or any other one for that matter.

Forums take the same type of information: First & last name, phone number, username, password... you don't see forum owners running all over the place setting up SSL certificates. How about digg.com? Are you routed to an SSL page every time you login with your username and password? No. It's not necessary.

I'm not going to argue with you.

You can live in your own little fantasy world if you want.

Maybe it's not "necessary", but "extremely desirable" at the very least.

IMHO.

Take it or leave it.

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

I'm not going to argue with you.

You can live in your own little fantasy world if you want.

Maybe it's not "necessary", but "extremely desirable" at the very least.

IMHO.

Take it or leave it.

I'm emailing YouTube right now to let them know that it would be "extremely desirable" for them to make their users login over an SSL connection becuase right now they must be living in a fantasy world.

Go learn the basics of Internet encryption.

Why does everyone try to use SSL with their oscommerce stores anyway? I don't understand it... there's no reason for it. Why use SSL? When you're taking credit card numbers & sensitive information, right? Well, with oscommerce, all of your customers are routed over to your payment gateway's site (Paypal, 2co, etc) to make the payment, which is over an SSL connection, then they are brought back to your site.

There is absolutely no reason you need to even try to fool with SSL 99.9% of the time. What are you trying to encrypt? Your products?

The reason I recommend ssl to everyone is because customers expect it and will leave a site if they don't see the lock icon or https in the url. For the past few years, the local news here warns everyone to watch for those when the holiday season starts up. So a site saves $20 or $30 and loses customers. Why have a shop? Beyond that though, you assume that all sites use payment gateways. Many do not.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for answering my question, I'll stick it in the www root.

Secondly, I didn't realise my question would be so contentious, and I appologise for starting an arguement. :-o

From my point of view, I already had a site running and selling one item, so I used SSL to help with customer confidence in parting with money and their name, address, etc. because they could see the padlock and everything was 'secure'. It also helped to stop the "this page contains secure and non-secure items" pop-up at the PayPal payment page. So, now I have more products to sell, I just thought I would carry on using the same layout and procedures.

Thanks again,

Paul

so I used SSL

Good choice.

Despite what the mis-informed who stumble around in Cyber-world with blinders on say, it's the only way to fly... er, I mean sell...

;)

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

Archived