• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Use Search Engine Safe Urls

niceguyoo5

In the admin section it says under Use Search Engine Safe Urls " still under development" If i turn this option on, I get errors all over. Was this option ever fully developed? Is this the reason why my page is still not up on any search engine? Thanks for the info.

Florin

Leave it off. It is designed to take the '?' out of the URL's.

however, most search engines are now ok with having '?'s in the url now.

Additionally, if you have this turned on, customers that do not have cookies enabled will not be able to login or purchase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Leave it off. It is designed to take the '?' out of the URL's.  

however, most search engines are now ok with having '?'s in the url now.

Additionally, if you have this turned on, customers that do not have cookies enabled will not be able to login or purchase.

That's not correct.

If a server supports it (running *nix / Apache) I always turn this on, as it is better supported by search engines

AND it looks better / is more readable to users.

Never had ANY problems whatsoever with it.

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

If a server supports it (running *nix / Apache) I always turn this on

Hmmmnn. Both Ian-San and I both encountered problems when turning this on. My shop runs on Unix/Apache, however when I enagle "search engine friendly urls", then people with cookies disabled can not log in or place products in their cart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

The biggest problem is that with maximum security set on the customer's browser (ie no cookies allowed), the customer cannot add items to their temporary shopping cart. I think the development team are well aware of this. Plus there were a few problems with advanced search (now solved).

In my experience, only programmers turn off cookies but you cannot really take that risk.

Without SEFU, there is no user problem but the jury is still out on the damage this causes with search engines..

So, in 99% of cases, SEFU works fine.

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

Ian said:

The biggest problem is that with maximum security set on the customer's browser (ie no cookies allowed), the customer cannot add items to their temporary shopping cart. I think the development team are well aware of this. Plus there were a few problems with advanced search (now solved).

That isnt true for everyone...

If you want proof, turn off your cookies and go here:

www.casetech.co.uk/index.php

I have safe URL's on and it doesnt effect people buying from me.

So although some may suffer with this I dont.

My snapshot is from March/April time.

Please let me know if you discover anything as a result of the friendly URL's.

Cheers

CC.

That isnt true for everyone...

So it seems!

Note that with your store, the SID is shown from the first click but the url only shows SEFU up to the SID then it is ? for the SID itself:

http://www.casetech.co.uk/product_info.php...f92de0125aa7a04

Wheras on my store, the SID is only shown once I get to the shopping basket and it is SEFU all the way:

http://www.nowsayit.com/catalog_en/shoppin...49294fa039b4408

I assume that it must be down to one of the Bot Killers ncausing the problem?

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

Okay, it seems that the clever guys in the 'Brain' got there first ..

If you implement this mod:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs...r1=1.46&r2=1.47

SEFU works as they have turned the clock back - the April version of HTML_OUTPUT used:

// Substitute key symbols with slashes

if ( (SEARCH_ENGINE_FRIENDLY_URLS == 'true') && ($convertable == true) ) {

while (strpos($link, '&&')) {

$link = str_replace("&&", "&", $link);

}

$link = str_replace("?", "/", $link);

$link = str_replace("&", "/", $link);

$link = str_replace("=", "/", $link);

$separator = '?';

}

This mod puts that back and so everything works fine again!

Thanks CC.

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

Archived