• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Character Encoding

Lisle

Please rescue me,

I am fighting with character encoding. I have two languages in my catalog... English and Greek. The English is set as the default with iso-8859-1 encoding and functions fine. The Greek is using iso-8859-7 with some issues.

I am able to use the osCommerce editor to add product to the catalog. If I use it in IE, the characters read fine in the catalog. If I use Firefox, I get all ??????????? for the text in the catalog. The simple solution is to use IE. But that is not the end of the problem.

In either case, when I go to the admin side of the catalog and try to edit the product, I end up with the Greek characters being replaced by "Ένας λεβ....." instead of characters. Yet they read fine in the catalog. This of course would make any editing completely impossible.

What am I missing? I see other Greek catalogs in osCommerce using 8859-7 with some level of success.

Thank you all very much.

you can change the character encoding in language file, which is located in /shop/includes/languages/specific-language.php

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Darn, I see that those numbers I was trying to show in...

I end up with the Greek characters being replaced by "Ένας λεβ....." instead of characters.

are showing in some other browsers I checked as actual characters, not the numbers i was trying to show. The numbers are numbers.... so that is the issue.

Now I understand that i can change the encoding in the language files, but I don't understand what I want to change it to. The catalog seems to all be set correctly in 8859-7. Change it to what instead?

I changed the Greek encoding to utf-8 in both catalog and admin languages folders, but the product editor still displays numbers instead of characters after I send the product to the shop. It looks fine everywhere else, just when I want to edit the entry, it displays as three numbers behind .

Anyone?

Archived