• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Cannot install to root directory

osboy

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to ecommerce via shop sites.

I have my reseller account where I need to set up my stores, and with this I have fantastico of course, which includes Oscommerce that I REALLY want to make full use of. Now my first attempt resulted in a message telling me that there are file conflicts when I downloaded to the root directory, and that I needed to delete files manually... Hmmm, always scary when deleting files I don't understand...so I uninstalled instead and reinstalled to another directory. Installing to another directory worked fine, but of course the store would not be visible unless I used a welcome page from with to enter the directory where the store is installed... I have just changed the dns to the host and have not uploaded anything to the domain. Is there anything I should do before trying to reinstall to the root again? Deleting files pre installion is touch risky for a newbie, but is there anything in the root that should be removed pre installation?

Many thanks all

Maybe your root folder contains a default (readonly) index.php file or images folder showing an under construction message. Have a look with a ftp program what files are located in that folder. Probably it's ok to remove them, otherwise download them first to your local pc as a backup...

Many thanks.

I went and reinstalled it to the root, then when the error showed I followed instructions and deleted 2 files via file manager..It worked!!

Now I just need to try and work out how to change the appearance and design the store... If I can't work that out, it's down to buying templates I guess.

Many thanks

Archived