• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I ...? All the basic install questions regularly asked...

Thanks so much for this thread! It has been a great help! I can't seem to figure out how to remove the "What's New for (month)" box. Can anyone help me with this one, please?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. … Change the OsCommerce in the Title?

when i do this .. the index page title doesnt change.. really any of the pages dont change.. any idea why?

I would like to add a URL field into my customer details area for new registrations. The field should be optional, but availible for customers to use if desired.

Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,

Okay - I freely admit that I am novice to OSC - that being said, I have searched the header.php file in both admin and catalog folder and have found nowhere to change the 'oscommerce.gif' file to my own image file which I've already uploaded.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have been asked by a friend to help set up her ecommerce store and the one she had as part of her package looked terrible so I suggested we use OSCommerce since I have heard many good things about it.

I installed it as part of a script on my webspace. Every thing is installed ok but at first there is a default shop containing dvd's, and computer bits. I have gone to admin where it asks for username and password but I can not see any other way to create a new admin, nor can I log in as I can not see what the username or password is in the documentation. Any help be greatly appreciated.

C-E

EASY HOW TO CENTER & SIZE SHOP

At the very start of header.php add:

<div id="content">

then at the very bottom of footer.php add:

</div>

then add to your css:

#content {

width: 900; margin: auto;

border: 1px solid #999999;

text-align:center;

}

;)

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Hi, I've been looking everywhere to try and find out how to change the SHipping option names from bestway to say first class or priority or whatever I want to call it, so it no longer says best way shipping.

Where did you find the answer? I'm looking to resolve a similar issue.

Hi, I've been looking everywhere to try and find out how to change the SHipping option names from bestway to say first class or priority or whatever I want to call it, so it no longer says best way shipping.

hi, i need help on this issue as well.

thanks in advance. :)

How do i change the links on the left column such as, Shipping & Returns, Privacy Notice, Conditions Of Use, Contact Us into images? how easy is it to modify the code to change the text to an image.

Also can i change the drop down in the catorgories to images instead of the standard text?

Hopefully Someone can help me.

Thankyou.

I have added a script called content slider frm dhtml website

I need to put the following script in the head of I presume the index.php file ?????

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="contentslider.css" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="contentslider.js">

/***********************************************

* Featured Content Slider- © Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)

* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use

* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for this script and 100s more

***********************************************/

</script>

but it is not picking it up. Is there some other files that I need to put it in or I need to embed the code differently?

try the includes directory if your store is in the root.

I can't find it either, and I don't know what it would mean for my store to be in the root. But if someone could let me know what the full url would be, using exampl.com in place of my home url, I think I would be well on my way. I've tried pasting /catalog/includes/languages/English/index.php to the end of all kinds of urls and it comes up "page not found." Thanks.

I can't find it either, and I don't know what it would mean for my store to be in the root. But if someone could let me know what the full url would be, using exampl.com in place of my home url, I think I would be well on my way. I've tried pasting /catalog/includes/languages/English/index.php to the end of all kinds of urls and it comes up "page not found." Thanks.

Nevermind, sorry! I found it in the cpanel.

How do you change that? Ive tried and looked but I cant seem to find it!

Help please

Hi,

I'm new to osCommerce and I cannot get my store to send emails at all...if I choose smtp there is no where for me to enter the server information and I have no clue about the sendmail option.

Is there anyone that can help me?

Thanks a million in advance.

QUOTE (gigashadow @ May 5 2008, 07:32 PM)

How do you change that? Ive tried and looked but I cant seem to find it!

Help please

Bump, still cant find how to do this... =(

2. … Change the What’s New Here on the front page?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English/index.php

Find the following line and change it to what you want it to say

CODE

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');

I was able to do this one but what if I have multiple catagories? They all have the Whats New Here? And I would to have them all different, is there a way to do that?

I was thinking of finding the pages individually but that didnt work

EDIT: sorry it doesnt say "whats new here" it says "Lets see what we have here"

Here is a “How Do I …?” list for the basic questions that get asked in this forum. After spending a lot of time searching for this list, and realising that the same things are asked over and over, I thought I would put this list here with answers to make it easier for others to find!

Maybe this could get pinned to make it easy to find and others could add to this list their How do I...? with the ANSWER!

How Do I ……

1. … Change the OsCommerce in the Title?

2. … Change the What’s New Here on the front page?

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');

3. … Change the Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account on the front page?

[b]4. … Change the default text on the front page?	[/b]
Find the following line that starts with the following (about line 13 – usually the first one ) and change it to what you want it to say [code]  define('HEADING_TITLE', 'TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup  ……  . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');');

An easier way to do this is to install the contribution Define MainPage then you can change the default text whenever you like through the Admin section

5. … Remove the ??? box from the left / right side?

Go to catalog/includes/column_left.php OR column_right.php and put // in front of the line with the box name that you want to remove.

An easier way is to install the contribution InfoBox Admin which will let you remove the boxes, move them to the other column through clicking buttons through the admin. You can also add other boxes easily through this as well.

6. … Move the ??? box from the left / right side?

Go to catalog/includes/column_left.php OR column_right.php and put // in front of the line with the box name that you want to remove. Copy that line then add it into the other file where you want it to be.

An easier way is to install the contribution InfoBox Admin which will let you remove the boxes, move them to the other column through clicking buttons through the admin. You can also add other boxes easily through this as well.

7. … Add the ??? box from the left / right side?

Go to catalog/includes/column_left.php OR column_right.php and copy a line then change it into the file that you want to add.

8. … Remove / Add the rounded corners to the info boxes on the left or right columns?

Go to catalog/includes/boxes and open the corresponding file name for the box you want to change. Here is the code that will change this – look for the line that you have (eg left rounded) then change it to what you want it to be.

No rounded corners

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);

Right rounded corner

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, true);

Left rounded corner

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, false);

Both rounded corners

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, true);

9. … Remove / Add the rounded corners to the info boxes in the middle part of the page? (eg: New Products for MONTH)

Go to catalog/includes/modules and open the corresponding file name for the box you want to change. Change the following code to the one above that you want.

new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

10. … Change the default text ???? on the ???? page

Go to catalog/includes/language/YourLanguage/ and choose the filename with the same name as the page you want to change. Look for the text in there that you want to change

11. … Change the Title in the ???? Box?

Go to catalog/includes/English.php and find the line where NAME_OF_BOX is the box you want to change and Title of Box is the title that is showing and change the Title of Box to what you want

define('BOX_HEADING_NAME_OF_BOX, 'Title of Box');

12. … Remove the Top from the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/application_top.php and put // in front of the following line (around 482)

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

13. … Change Top or the Catalog on the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/English.php and find the following lines and make the changes as necessary

define('HEADER_TITLE_TOP', 'Top');
define('HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG', 'Catalog');

14. … Change the >> in the breadcrumb?

Go to catalog/includes/header.php and find the following line – about 63 and change the bit that begins after trail that begins with the & and ends in the ; to the character that you want.

<td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' & raquo; '); ?></td>

15. … Change the default currency to one that is not USD to get the prices to show?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English.php and around line 39 find

define('LANGUAGE_CURRENCY', 'USD');

and change the USD to Currency code that you want to use.

16. … Change the date format to DD/MM/YYYY?

Go to catalog/includes/languages/English.php and around line 21

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%m/%d/%Y');  // this is used for strftime()

change it to

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%d/%m/%Y');  // this is used for strftime()

Then around line 23 find this

define('DATE_FORMAT', 'm/d/Y'); // this is used for date()

and change it to

define('DATE_FORMAT', 'd/m/Y'); // this is used for date()

You also need to make the same changes in catalog/ADMIN/includes/languages/English.php

17. How do I change the font / colour / size?

Go to catalog/includes/stylesheet.css and make the changes in there for the main site.

Go to catalog/admin/includes/stylesheet.css and make the changes in there for the admin section.

Happy coding! :D

Hi, I can't get item # 9 to work. I can't seem to get the corners rounded, can you provide more details

thanks

Hi, I can't get item # 9 to work. I can't seem to get the corners rounded, can you provide more details

thanks

Inside catalog/includes/modules folder are files that correspond to the box with which you want rounded corners.

Open the file in a text editor and look for this line new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

Refer to #8 above for the setting you want.

Hi all, like everyone here I am new to all this but have managed to do a few of the things listed here!

But I am having problems finding where I can change the date as it is set to USA time zone and need to change in to my country New Zealand time zone and also correct local time?

Cheers Bryan

Archived