• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

sitemap questions

jasyn

i have a question for google webmaster tool and yahoo! site explorer.

for my osCommerce site i installed the googlesitemap which creates

1. sitemapindex.xml

2. sitemapcategories.xml

3. sitemapproducts.xml

i also have a added addon that makes a ror.xml (i've been told that ror.xml is for yahoo)

my question is this. for google webmaster tool where you upload your sitemaps, do i just input sitemapcategories.xml and sitemapproducts.xml .. for some reason google webmaster tool doesn't accept sitemapindex.xml

and for yahoo! site explorer, do i just put the ror.xml as my sitemap, or should i just forget about ror.xml all together and just stick the sitemaps that the googlesitemap contribution created?

currently my sitemaps have all of them listed, and i'm not exactly sure if that is conflicting or not. my ror.xml creator addon doesn't crawl the same as googlesitemap to create the sitemaps.

You put the full url for google. See the instructions when you run it at http://mysite.com/googlesitemap/index.php. I'm not familiar with the account on yahoo but be sure your ror file does not include session id's in the link.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

in the google webmaster tools for the sitemaps: when i add in sitemapindex.xml the sitemap status gives an error (404 error) because google searches up sitemap.xml instead of sitemapindex.xml .. urls submitted however is correct.

so for google all i need to add sitemap wise is the sitemapindex.xml ?
No, that's not correct. Are you using the google sitemap by Chemo contribution?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No, that's not correct. Are you using the google sitemap by Chemo contribution?

Jack

for some reason it was adding a sitemap.xml sitemap, but now it isn't.

so with that said:

1. is having just the sitemapindex.xml listed as the sitemap good enough? or do i add the sitemapcategories.xml as well as the sitemapproducts.xml?

2. is it necessary to have a ror.xml for yahoo? or can i just use these sitemaps?

I can't answer the first since I don't know what contribution you are using. For the second, yahoo doesn't read the google sitemap.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I can't answer the first since I don't know what contribution you are using. For the second, yahoo doesn't read the google sitemap.

Jack

what contribution would you be wondering about? i use googlesitemap to create the sitemaps for google.

There are at least two by different authors. That is why I asked if you were using the one by Chemo.

Jack

Sorry I thought I had answered, but I didn't, I just read that you did ask.

Yes I am using the Chemo edition.

Then when you initial run it, or use the link syntax I gave above, it tells you to add the three sitemaps. You need to add them all since they are to separate parts of the shop.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 months later...

Hi Jack

Then when you initial run it, or use the link syntax I gave above, it tells you to add the three sitemaps. You need to add them all since they are to separate parts of the shop

I also have installed Google XML Sitemap Feed V1.3 by Chemo

And I took your advice and submitted all three sitemaps to Google

it tells you to add the three sitemaps

(I cannot find anything in the documentation that says to do this)

However, Google now tells me that I have a total 1388 url's submitted

I actually have about 670 products in about 15 categories.

It looks like google has doubled the actual figure.

Are you sure that sitemapcategories.xml and sitemapproducts.xml should be submitted?

I thought that Google would find these from the sitemapindex.xml

Thanks

Ken

• 1 year later...
However, Google now tells me that I have a total 1388 url's submitted

I actually have about 670 products in about 15 categories.

It looks like google has doubled the actual figure.

I am a newbie, but i've been reading a lot about this issues in the forum.

my guess would be that you've probably used SEO URLS as well, which means that now you have your generic urls + SEO urls - which can create dupes which would eventually bring your site down in ranking till they're pretty much gone.

read here how to create redirects and prevent dupes:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=136032

again, i'm a newbie so i would recommend you check it more.

I am a newbie, but i've been reading a lot about this issues in the forum.

my guess would be that you've probably used SEO URLS as well, which means that now you have your generic urls + SEO urls - which can create dupes which would eventually bring your site down in ranking till they're pretty much gone.

It depends on the contribution used to rewrite the url's. Ultimate SEO and some of the others will issue 301's so this is not an issue.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived