• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Scam Magnet

speed777

Lately, I've been getting more and more scam letters in the email. It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother to read the file properties anymore much less open them for fear that they could contain a hidden virus. I just delete the message. I get at least ten a day. Letters purporting to be from some Nigerian bank official or winning lottery notifications from the U. K., or some sad story ending with an business offer, letters from manufacturers claiming they want to enter the US market and are seeking a partner to take a share of the profits (its always some heavy industry like mining), and my favorite, the Christian scam.

They come via email, not by the regular shopping cart route. They try play on on your emotions with greed or sympathy. It's really a shame we have to contend with this trash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

DO NOT HAVE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS ON ANY PAGES IN YOUR SITE!!! This includes HTML comments.

Use web forms to allow people to send you e-mails.

There are robots that scan websites and pull out e-mail addresses and add the to spam lists. Those addresses are 100% guaranteed to be real active ones. So, so not leave addresses on your site.

You may want to change your e-mail address to start fresh.

Rudolf

• 2 weeks later...
Just 10 a day? You're lucky!

I just checked an email addy I used to use :rolleyes: and there is nearly 40,000 unread emails :D

Heh. I run a Windows network with an Exchange server. I have a mailfilter that bounces maybe 30,000 spam mails per day.

It's infuriating, as it also quarantines 'suspect' mail, which has to be manually checked. that picks up probably 1000+ every day.

Archived