• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce installed/working, but www.XYZ.com resolves to error page

clane

I just installed osCommerce using ftp to the www.mysite.com/catalog/ directory.

I went to www.mysite.com/catalog/install/ and went through the step by step configuration screens.

I can click on the ADMIN and CATALOG buttons at the conclusion of the 4-step install process and am taken to the admin page or the web site home page.

Basically everything seems to be installed correctly. The problem is that when I enter www.mysite.com in a web browser, I am taken to a 404 error page. Basically if a customer were to type in my web address they would see an error page, not the osCommerce web page/home page/catalog page. I would have thought that the install routine would have taken care of this. Did I do something wrong? What did I miss? I can't seem to find any reference to how to fix this issue in the documentation PDF or online help FAQs. How do I fix this and why didn't the install routine take care of it

I just installed osCommerce using ftp to the www.mysite.com/catalog/ directory.

I went to www.mysite.com/catalog/install/ and went through the step by step configuration screens.

I can click on the ADMIN and CATALOG buttons at the conclusion of the 4-step install process and am taken to the admin page or the web site home page.

Basically everything seems to be installed correctly. The problem is that when I enter www.mysite.com in a web browser, I am taken to a 404 error page. Basically if a customer were to type in my web address they would see an error page, not the osCommerce web page/home page/catalog page. I would have thought that the install routine would have taken care of this. Did I do something wrong? What did I miss? I can't seem to find any reference to how to fix this issue in the documentation PDF or online help FAQs. How do I fix this and why didn't the install routine take care of it

If you installed it in the catalog folder, you need to enter http://www.mysite.com/catalog to view your index page.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

GROUCHO (1895-1977)

If you installed it in the catalog folder, you need to enter http://www.mysite.com/catalog to view your index page.

OK, but the random person that would be viewing my web site has no way to know that he should type www.mysite.com/catalog/. He would only type www.mysite.com. Also, all of the advertising that exists points to www.mysite.com. If someone clicks on an advertising link, or jots down the web address from a print ad, they will get the 404 error or the old index.htm page that is currently in place. Again, I would have thought that osCommerce would have generated a new index.htm page in the root directory, or there would be instructions in the HELP files stating something like ".....install all files to the /catalog directory then manually create a new index.htm file containing the following code: <INSERT CODE HERE> so that customers can find your store. So, your suggestion is helpful, but doesn't really solve the problem. Isn't this an issue for anyone else? Why doesn't the documentation address this issue? It seems like such a fundamental issue to getting osCommerce to function that it would merit at east one sentence in the documentation.

.......also, what is magical about installing in the /catalog directory? What is the reasoning behind installing in the /catalog directory rather than the root directory? Is their a downside (or upside) to using the root directory as opposed to /catalog/, /shop/, /mystore, etc....

You can set the store in the top directory... there will be some changes in the config files... I have a store in the root rather that the catalog directory. Probably the easiext is to create a index page in the root like a store front then point to the store in catalog folder ... you can see that at rockbottomstock dot com.

You need to add this in the index.html in your root directory:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"

CONTENT="1; URL=http://www.mysite/catalog/">

When someone accesses www.mysite.com, it will redirect to www.mysite.com/catalog/

That way your covered with both addresses.

Archived