• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

using template

kewldude_3001

hey, i want to test my store with a template i found, but i dont want to change my current one till i see the other one work so is there a way to test the new template with my store without changing my current one also the STS template contribution is the one i need to make this work right???

If you don't want to change the present store until you've checked out the template, then yes, you need to install another instance of osC (or the template if it is a full install of osC) into a new folder. That is basically what a development (dev) environment is. You can create a sub-domain, if your hosting package allows you to - www.dev.your_domain.com - or a new directory within the root - www.your_domain.com/dev - or, as I prefer, have a local server on your PC for testing.

to connect to your current database, just have the template directory's configure.php files point to your sql database, then both stores have the same database and images, etc...

all other information is correct

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

lol what do u mean by dev store?? do i have to install oscommerce again in a different folder? or is there a simple way to go back and forth from a template and my current design

Ash,

If you are using the Simple Template System, then changing templates is as easy as changing an option in the admin of your store. You can have several templates installed at the same time and select which one to use just as you would a payment or shipping module in your store's admin section.

:thumbsup: STS allows you to "test" out a design without affecting your "live" store. See the STS User Manual for more details.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Archived