• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reserve a product

Hi, ppl

I'm setting up a shop for a client. We'd like to put on-line the shop now, but the product we will sell is not yet available.

I'd like to make something like a reservation to be a priority buyer when the product is put on sell.

Any suggestion on how to do this?

I thought we could add a product that is a reservation.... when the real product is available send an email to "buyer" clients with an special formed URL related to its user to get the real thing...

Thanks a lot

We take orders for products not yet available. All we do is list the product as normal, making it clear in the title and description that it is a pre-sell. The only problem with doing this is if you use an online payment system, as you'll be taking money before shipping which is not normally a good idea.

You could always take the orders with the product price set to zero.

If you want to limit who can see the product when you start selling it, simply add the product but mark it as inactive. Then simply supply the url to take the customers straight to the product info page for that product.

We do this as well, to limit who can purchase a product.

Jon.

The only problem with doing this is if you use an online payment system, as you'll be taking money before shipping which is not normally a good idea.

Especially if you don't want to lose your privelage to take credit cards ever again. By doing this you are no doubt violating your TOA with VISA/MC/AMEX/etc.

You could always collect the CC info but not process the charge until the product has arrived and shipped and after the card has been authorized (obviously)

Archived