• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Admin Login and Directory

micahbailey

In the documentation it states, "You need to .htaccess your /catalog/admin directory so that it is password protected. You can use the password manager in your server admin area like cpanel."

However, after I did the installation I've noticed that when you access the /admin directory, it asks for the admin user and password within the osCommerce interface. So I'm just wondering if password protecting the /admin directory through .htaccess is really necessary. If I did password protect that directory would I then need to login to both the .htaccess AND the osCommerce admin sign in?

I'm thinking that these instructions to password protect the /admin directory were written before they built in a login system in osCommerce. Anyone have any ideas on that?

By the way, I'm using the oscommerce-2.2rc1 release.

Micah

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?"

if you have a login page on the admin then you must be using a template

otherwise you fantastico'ed the install and password protected it from your hosts cpanel

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

if you have a login page on the admin then you must be using a template

otherwise you fantastico'ed the install and password protected it from your hosts cpanel

Actually, I'm using it straight out of the box with no templates and I haven't done the .htaccess either. So osCommerce must have it built in by default now and so those old instructions must be outdated.

Micah

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?"

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same question. I installed RC1, and right out of the box the admin page now has a login system in place, so I would assume that the .htaccess method is no longer necessary as of RC1.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/03/2007 osCommerce Online Merchant 2.2 RC1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Add a simple administrator login routine to the Administrator Tool.

[r1610, r1632]

Archived