• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Sitemap & RobotStats

I am really new to oscommerce and am just now setting up my first store. I've been able to get the store working, but wanted to be sure it would be indexed by the search engines. It was my understanding that the search engines would not spider across php pages, so I installed "SEO Sitemap" to resolve that. Everything seems to be working, but to check that, I decided to install "GoogleStats Crawler Tracker" as suggested in the instructions. after some searching, I found RobotStats" which is apparently the current version of GoogleStats Crawler Tracker.

The problem is that I cannot figure out where to place the 3 lines of php script that activates RobotStats.

<?php
  include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/robotstats/robotstats.inc.php');
  ?>

The instructions say you can insert that anywhere. I have tried several different files and different places in these files, but I keep getting SQL errors. Apparently, RobotStats selects its database and causes oscommerce to attempt to access one of its tables in this selected database, which causes the error since by then the wrong database is selected.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Do I need to use SEO Sitemap (or something similar) to get the search engines to spider my store? If so, is there something better than SEO Sitemap?

2) Where should I insert the RobotStats script so that the pages that are spidered are logged?

3) Is there something better for logging the spider visits?

As I mentioned, I am very new at this so any suggestions or comments would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken

Without a link to the contribution I can't be sure of what you are using but if it is the one I think it is, you need to remove it since it will get your site banned. For best results, install the Header Tags Controller and Ultimate SEO contributions. For google stats, install the google sitemap by Chemo contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks, Jack.

I removed SEO Sitemap and RobotStats.

BTW: Here is the link to the SEO Sitemap that I was referring to:

SEO Sitemap

I also installed Header Tags Controller V2.6.3 from this page:

Header Tags Controller V2.6.3

I just now downloaded the latest full package of Ultimate SEO from here:

Ultimate SEO URLs

Now I am looking for the "google sitemap by Chemo contribution" that you suggested. When I search the contributions, I find these two possibilities:

Google XML Sitemap Feed

Google XML Sitemap w/ Admin

Any suggestion as to which of those would be the version of choice would be appreciated.

Also, it is unclear to me from reading about Google XML Sitemap how that will track, and give me results of, robot/spider visits to my osCommerce store. Is that what that contribution will do? If not, is there another contribution or utility that will do that?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Yes, the SEO Sitemap was the one I was thinking of and it is good that you removed it. For the google sitemap, the first one is the one I referred to - version 1.3 by Chemo. The other version there or the other link you provide might work well but I have not used them so I can't say. The google sitemap won't give you robot stats, at least not for all of the search engines (at least I doubt it if it will). If your host as AWStats installed, that lists that as well as any I think. If they dont offer it, it is a free download so you could install that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

hi

I am looking at doing the same thing and would like some advice.

I have been installing with success the Header tags as suggested above and I'm now looking at installing the Ulitmate SEO and the Google XML Sitemap Feed . I am confused as to which versions to use for these two contributions, any suggestions which ones to use? I have had some bad experience with contributions that have been modified a lot so I am just concerned I will try and install something that will not work.

thanks,

Maria

Hi again

Well things seems to work after installing ultimate seo, however when I go to admin->seo urls there is a warning message:

Warning: call_user_func(tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls): First argument is expected to be a valid callback in .../www/catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1199

What could be wrong there, anything that I need to do with the chache?

Also, the system behaves a little odd after an order has been processed (checkout_process.php) and I click continue then it takes me to the login page (which to me indicates that you are logged out). And if I try and go somewhere else without clicking login the system behaves normally but then the logoff link is shown which means I am still logged in???

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Maria

Archived