• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce Authority Requested on Paid Contributions?

XxWickedxX

I have recently been working on a piece of software that generates additional or extra pages for OS Commerce. So that people can easily create their own pages with their own custom content on them within the template.

My question that I was wondering is that if I am allowed to sell this contribution? I know I am allowed to sell it but I wanted to know if I would be allowed to add it to the contributions here and if I would be allowed to maintain a support thread for it here? I have never seen it done on here so I wanted to ask.

Thanks for any guidance....

Just to ensure I have not confused anyone please be aware I would be selling the software on my own website. I just wanted to know if adding it to the contributions section and offering a support thread here for it would be allowed..

Thanks

If it can be downloaded from the contributions section and people can use it for free..yes...you can ofcourse add it to the contributions section and open a support tread for it in the forum.

If it can be downloaded from the contributions section and people can use it for free..yes...you can ofcourse add it to the contributions section and open a support tread for it in the forum.

I think you missed the point.. I am wanting to sell the item I have created. Perhaps I could offer a demo version in the contributions section for free and then a link to refer people where to get the full version of the software product?

I am wanting to sell the item I have created. Perhaps I could offer a demo version in the contributions section for free and then a link to refer people where to get the full version of the software product?

So in contrast to the thousands of other people who have contributed their work freely (gratis) in the contribution section you want to advertise there (for free) and use the resources here (for free) but charge for your contribution. As far as I know contributions have been removed in which the authors were too explicit about the services they offered (so were advertising).

I don't see why what you propose would be deemed acceptable.

I have recently been working on a piece of software that generates additional or extra pages for OS Commerce. So that people can easily create their own pages with their own custom content on them within the template.

My question that I was wondering is that if I am allowed to sell this contribution? I know I am allowed to sell it but I wanted to know if I would be allowed to add it to the contributions here and if I would be allowed to maintain a support thread for it here? I have never seen it done on here so I wanted to ask.

Thanks for any guidance....

You can write code and charge for it but you can't post it here unless it is free. You also cannot link to it from here. Contributions have to be uploaded with a file stating the code is open source. On top of that, there are at least three or four such contributions already so there is probably no call for the code at all, much less if it isn't free.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You can write code and charge for it but you can't post it here unless it is free. You also cannot link to it from here. Contributions have to be uploaded with a file stating the code is open source. On top of that, there are at least three or four such contributions already so there is probably no call for the code at all, much less if it isn't free.

Jack

Thanks Jack that pretty much sums it up for me.. I appreciate it....

And as far as Janz is concerned I guess thanks for your negative way of placing your thoughts here when all I was really doing is asking for help.. I have donated majority of my years contributing so I know how the process works.. I have just seen some sites that allow you to sell your contribution via their own site.. Those are the majority that offer a script that you pay for in the first place anyway.. I contributed and donated a lot in my day to the open source community (not so much this one though) and that comes a time when you have to keep feeding the family so I just wanted to get input on the idea.. You've done that so thanks..

And as far as Janz is concerned I guess thanks for your negative way of placing your thoughts here when all I was really doing is asking for help.. I have donated majority of my years contributing so I know how the process works.. I have just seen some sites that allow you to sell your contribution via their own site.. Those are the majority that offer a script that you pay for in the first place anyway.. I contributed and donated a lot in my day to the open source community (not so much this one though) and that comes a time when you have to keep feeding the family so I just wanted to get input on the idea.. You've done that so thanks..

Probably a bad idea to react on this but you truly yanked my chain.

all I was really doing is asking for help.

That is not what I read:

I just wanted to know if adding it to the contributions section and offering a support thread here for it would be allowed.

I don't blame you for not contributing because you need to feed your family and can't spare the time. You want others to pay for your contribution... fine. But when I point out that using the free resources and exposure of the forum plus a forum thread giving you even more exposure for selling your contribution is not OK I'm suddenly negative?

Sorry, but I can't see your proposal in a positive way.

Archived