• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Suggestions on optimizing and increasing sales/PR needed

smellycat

Hi,

I've been working really hard getting my site up and running, I must admit I was total novice and absolutely clueless when I started out but I'm picking stuff up now as I go along. So far I've done ok with sales, admittedly through friends/family/word of mouth but obviously this is not going to put food on the table. I've had about half a dozen buyers so far who've found me through searches but I need to increase my sales significantly to pay the bills.

SSL is top of my things to do list, tried installing once and b@llsed up with something !!. I've installed ultimate urls and dynamic meta tags and a few of my products are coming up on google but I'd really like some advice and suggestions on anything I can do/contrbs to install to improve traffic, sales and PR.

My Website

Thanks in advance :)

Hiya.

The site is a little bland and could do with some nice graphics to break up the text perhaps. In IE your header is not full width.

The page transitions are very annoying even viewing one item and would certainly put most people of browsing the site further in my opinion. They make me feel a bit nauseous!

Why do you 'proudly accept' the credit cards?

SSL yep do it please :thumbsup:

best wishes,

crazy

Hiya.

The site is a little bland and could do with some nice graphics to break up the text perhaps. In IE your header is not full width.

The page transitions are very annoying even viewing one item and would certainly put most people of browsing the site further in my opinion. They make me feel a bit nauseous!

Why do you 'proudly accept' the credit cards?

SSL yep do it please :thumbsup:

best wishes,

crazy

Those ruddy page transitions, I was sure I'd removed them all, will have another look at that now. I need to re-do my header, must get onto that one straight away as well, I'd increased the width of my site slightly and the header is now smaller.

LOL, when I installed the credit cards info box it must have said proudly except in title and I've no idea how to change it now, I've tried changing the wording in the php files but it doesn't alter it ?

Adding graphics to break up text :blink: haven't a clue how to do that :blush:

Thanks crazy, helpful as ever :) :thumbsup:

Actually when I was looking earlier your shipping costs bothered me but I left it :lol:

We ship worldwide, the cost of post & packaging is £2.75 per order regardless of size and sent by Recorded Delivery to mainland UK. Optionally, orders can be sent by Special Delivery at a cost of £4.75 per order (recommended for higher value orders). Post & packaging charges to Europe are charged at £2.75, to the rest of the world £4.75 up to 400 grams in weight inclusively, if your order weighs more than 400 grams we will contact you to notify you of extra postal charges and give you the option to pay the extra or cancel your order. (We are not responsible for any import duties or taxes which may be applicable)

As recorded delivery only covers up to £32 compensation if items are lost or damaged in the post, we recommend any orders over this amount should be sent using Special Delivery which covers up to £500. You can click on this option at the checkout and the cost of this service is £4.75 per order.

We will not be held responsible for items lost or damaged in the post. And all claims must be made directly to the postal service company. We will assist in any way we can with your claim and provide you with proof of postage.

Anyway, all a bit confusing. Separate off the UK, EU and international properly to make clearer.

Too much choice in my opinion. Keep it simple. Make a charge and make it include the insurance anyway. It is YOUR responsibility as the seller so do not give them a choice.

Beware of your final statement because sorry but again it is YOUR responsibility and you would have to make the claim and refund the customer.

Your items are low value and cheap to ship so if I were you I would simplify things further and offer free UK shipping and include in your prices. Little incentive to buy something for £3.00 and pay £2.75 shipping.

Actually when I was looking earlier your shipping costs bothered me but I left it :lol:

Anyway, all a bit confusing. Separate off the UK, EU and international properly to make clearer.

Too much choice in my opinion. Keep it simple. Make a charge and make it include the insurance anyway. It is YOUR responsibility as the seller so do not give them a choice.

Beware of your final statement because sorry but again it is YOUR responsibility and you would have to make the claim and refund the customer.

Your items are low value and cheap to ship so if I were you I would simplify things further and offer free UK shipping and include in your prices. Little incentive to buy something for £3.00 and pay £2.75 shipping.

Thanks for checking back with that, it's something that I've been debating over myself, it seems simple when you know what you mean yourself but having it highlighted by someone looking as a potential customer allows you to see where problems lie. It's a difficult one postage because most things are very light yet others are bulky which increases the cost of postage, I've tried to keep my prices down to be as competitive as possible as my products are already so readily available practically everywhere. I don't have high margins on them but completely understand what you mean about the postage costs being confusing, I'll make alterations to that as you suggested.

It's a tough one because you don't want customers saying they haven't received their goods, which unfortunately seems to be on the increase :(

Think I've finally got rid of the page transitions now. On to my next task :)

Just thought of something else, not sure if it would be better to have the full size pic of product rather than having to click to enlarge in product info. Would appreciate any feedback on this. If so, is there a contrib that does this ?

:)

How to improve speed.

1)Tax class needs to be modified.

2)If just one language make sure others are deleted via admin.

3)Use cache where possible.

4)If You have a dedicated SSL then set force cookies to trus and use cache for left col.

On PR:

Rather then focussing on PR(not worth) focus on adding some SEO code like

1)header tag controller

or Dyanamic Meta tag

2)SEO ultimate.

3)All products page.

4)google site Map.

5)Kill session ID.

This will generate traffic and if content is good will result in good sales.

If then too You feel PR is important so some directory submission plus reciprocal link building.

Also submit some articles.

Satish

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

How to improve speed.

1)Tax class needs to be modified.

2)If just one language make sure others are deleted via admin.

3)Use cache where possible.

4)If You have a dedicated SSL then set force cookies to trus and use cache for left col.

On PR:

Rather then focussing on PR(not worth) focus on adding some SEO code like

1)header tag controller

or Dyanamic Meta tag

2)SEO ultimate.

3)All products page.

4)google site Map.

5)Kill session ID.

This will generate traffic and if content is good will result in good sales.

If then too You feel PR is important so some directory submission plus reciprocal link building.

Also submit some articles.

Satish

Satish

Thanks Satish,

Will delete other languages as suggested, not sure what you mean about modifying tax class :blush: is that difficult ? and where would I do that ?

I have SEO ultimate, dynamic meta tag & header tag controller installed, I presume only dynamic meta tag or header tag should be installed, not both. also I'm not 100% sure if these are installed and working correctly.

I've killed session ID. and will now do an all products page and google site map.

Thank you again for your help :)

Archived