• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

why did the session id appear in my website url?

axin

What exactly is wrong?

Session IDs should be created when buyers are using the website.

The only 'people' you DON'T want creating session IDs are the search engines crawling your site...Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.

If they crawl your site and create session IDs...all of the links they generate in their search engines for your site will have session IDs. Which means...dead links. Page Not Found.

To prevent search engines from creating session IDs when crawling your site, go to Admin.

Admin > Configuration > Sessions.

Make sure that Prevent Spider Sessions is set to True.

Then, go into the Contribs section and search for Spiders. Install the latest and greatest list for your spiders.txt file and you're good to go. No one listed in your spiders.txt file will be able to create session IDs when crawling your website for content to add to their search engines.

set force cookies to true.

You need a dedicated ssl for the ssl pages in that case.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Thanks for the reply, Satish. Actually, after setting "Prevent Spider Sessions" to true I got rid of sids everywhere but for the very first time I visit the website. Would switching "Force Cookie Use" on eliminate this or is there no need to worry about the first-time visit at all? I'd imagine that SEs would index those links but maybe I'm wrong? Just don't want them to be sitting in SERPs as "dead".

If You have set Kill session ID for spiders to true and If You have updated the spiders.txt file then there is no reasin to worry.

But New spiders that are not in the list may take oscid with themas they are not treated as spiders.So if You have a dedicated SSL go for force cookies as true.Also if no SSL is used You can have forced cookies to true.

As when a visitors comes on site osc application_top cheks for user agent and compares with alist in spiders.txt if the comparision is successful will set spider flag as true.

This spider flag is used at html_output file function to decide whether oscid needs to be concatenated or not.

Satsih

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Archived