• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Idea for a contribution

martinstan

Hi

From searching these foums it seems that there is quite a regular request for a non paying module, where customers can add items to the cart and then submit an enquiry request. There are several 'disable cart' and 'disable buy now' contributions but there appears to be a gap that could be filled here.

I'm not a programmer, but I know my way around oscommerce a bit, so would be happy to help someone develop this if I can. I strikes me that the check/money order module is pretty much there and would just need some minor adjustments.

Any thoughts or takers?

martin

Hi

From searching these foums it seems that there is quite a regular request for a non paying module, where customers can add items to the cart and then submit an enquiry request. There are several 'disable cart' and 'disable buy now' contributions but there appears to be a gap that could be filled here.

I'm not a programmer, but I know my way around oscommerce a bit, so would be happy to help someone develop this if I can. I strikes me that the check/money order module is pretty much there and would just need some minor adjustments.

Any thoughts or takers?

martin

Its no need for a contribution, its just to change the text file definitions for the cod or the check/money order payment module to enquiry request or quote request or any other text you would like display.

Hi Toyicebear

I see. Thanks for your quick reply. I'll have a look and will try and post back the relevant files change I make incase anyone else needs it. I suppose the only button that needs changing is the shopping cart button then should but job done.

Cheers

Hi Toyicebear

I see. Thanks for your quick reply. I'll have a look and will try and post back the relevant files change I make incase anyone else needs it. I suppose the only button that needs changing is the shopping cart button then should but job done.

Cheers

Hi Martin

I think it is a good idea. I am interested for a site that I have and did not think of OSC for it before.

Hi Coopco

I've been looking for this for a while now, but didn't pick up on the check/money module until today and as I said earlier, it's pretty much there, but reading through many posts, no one else seems to have picked up on it either.

Martin

I also think it would make quite a nice contribution if someone could code it as an option within the admin area payment modules ;) I reckon Toyicebear is a bit of a whizz and could do it standing on his head! hehe.. :lol:

martin

I also think it would make quite a nice contribution if someone could code it as an option within the admin area payment modules ;) I reckon Toyicebear is a bit of a whizz and could do it standing on his head! hehe.. :lol:

martin

If I was a coder, I would have a go, but I am just a plodder.

It would be a nice contrib.

Hi,

If many wants it i can add on as a contribution....but it seems redundant...

Here are some short instructions...

1. edit this file includes/languages/english/modules/payment/cod.php

change:

define('MODULE_PAYMENT_COD_TEXT_TITLE', 'Cash on Delivery');

define('MODULE_PAYMENT_COD_TEXT_DESCRIPTION', 'Cash on Delivery');

to

define('MODULE_PAYMENT_COD_TEXT_TITLE', 'Get a Quote');

define('MODULE_PAYMENT_COD_TEXT_DESCRIPTION', 'Get a Quote');

2. go to your webshops admin under modules>>payment and enable the module now called: Get a Quote

Nick's idea will work but it requires the visitor to create an account and go through the checkout process to get the quote. I have code I wrote for someone that will place a Request button on the product page. When clicked, it takes them to a modfied contact us page where the product is listed and they can send an email asking about it. It only works per product but could be changed to work with the shopping cart page too so more than one product could be requested at a time. If that sounds like something someone would want, please let me know and I will make it into a contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

I haven't time at the minute to try it out but if it works, and I don't doubt it will, then I think there'll be many people who'll want this. I've set up several sites that are just basic catalog sites and the frustrating thing about it is that generally a customer will wants info on more than one item, so a contact form is pretty useless. This opens it all up.

Thanks for you help Toyicebear.

Top quality

Martin

Hi Jack

Sorry was posting when you replied. That sounds really good too. Please could you give me details on how to get it?

Many thanks

martin

It's not in the form of a contribution and the code for the shopping cart would have to be added so I have to do that before it can be uploaded. I'll try to get to it this weekend and will make a post when it is ready.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's not in the form of a contribution and the code for the shopping cart would have to be added so I have to do that before it can be uploaded. I'll try to get to it this weekend and will make a post when it is ready.

Jack

Thank you Jack, that sounds fantastic.

Archived