• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

logged off for idling on administration .. how do i turn this off?

jasyn

many times i'll be typing in the descriptions and the keywords and the process takes awhile. when i go to preview and then submit, sometimes i get logged out and all that time was wasted because none of the stuff is saved. how do i turn this option off?

I've asked about cookies before, how long they last, etc, but never heard anything back on it. Apparently it's one of the great mysteries of the internet....

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

I've asked about cookies before, how long they last, etc, but never heard anything back on it. Apparently it's one of the great mysteries of the internet....

Would just disabling cookies (if that's the problem) solve it? If i disable them will i run into any issues?

Would just disabling cookies (if that's the problem) solve it? If i disable them will i run into any issues?

Uhhh, yeah, you wouldn't be able to login at all... to any site....

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

There should be a way to login to the admin panel where there's a "remember me" setting or "keep me logged in until I log out". This tossing you to the curb at some arbitrary deadline controlled by a gnome hidden in someone's old shoe has got to go.

Check out this contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...rch,remember+me

This one might be better (it has "secure" in the title!):

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...rch,remember+me

This might be what we're looking for- in admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:

if (STORE_SESSIONS == 'mysql') {
if (!$SESS_LIFE = get_cfg_var('session.gc_maxlifetime')) {
  $SESS_LIFE = 1440;
}

session.gc_maxlifetime is a server setting that, theoretically, you can change or have changed.

I just changed mine via my .htacess file:

php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 14400000

If session.gc_maxlifetime isn't set on your server you can change $SESS_LIFE = 1440; to something like $SESS_LIFE = 14400000;

Also, I might be completely wrong.

This might be what we're looking for- in admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:
  if (STORE_SESSIONS == 'mysql') {
if (!$SESS_LIFE = get_cfg_var('session.gc_maxlifetime')) {
  $SESS_LIFE = 1440;
}

session.gc_maxlifetime is a server setting that, theoretically, you can change or have changed.

I just changed mine via my .htacess file:

php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 14400000

If session.gc_maxlifetime isn't set on your server you can change $SESS_LIFE = 1440; to something like $SESS_LIFE = 14400000;

Also, I might be completely wrong.

yah I just tried that .. same result .. i'll try that auto login feature and see if that fixes it. is this just an issue that i'm having? or is it a issue that everyone experiences?

I kept my admin panel open for over 90 mins yesterday - to test how would it behave - and well I was able to do everything even after 90 mins of no activity. I haven't added or modified anything in OSC - so not sure what could be the issue at your end.

Thx,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

I kept my admin panel open for over 90 mins yesterday - to test how would it behave - and well I was able to do everything even after 90 mins of no activity. I haven't added or modified anything in OSC - so not sure what could be the issue at your end.

Thx,

could it be multiple people using the same login?

could it be multiple people using the same login?

Nopies - I am the only one who knows the secret combination :). It is not available to public since i use it for development & testing.

Best Regards,
Gaurav

On a serious thought, Admin section doesn't have a session id (has anyone seen it in URL???) so this should not be a problem with sessions. How good is your internet connection, any possiblity that if it is not used for a while it just dies out!!!

I am reviewing admin index.php to see what could force you to login again. [but I suspect - it is your host which doesn't allow keep-alive beyond a certain time]

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

On a serious thought, Admin section doesn't have a session id (has anyone seen it in URL???) so this should not be a problem with sessions. How good is your internet connection, any possiblity that if it is not used for a while it just dies out!!!

I am reviewing admin index.php to see what could force you to login again. [but I suspect - it is your host which doesn't allow keep-alive beyond a certain time]

Thanks,

that quite possibly could be the issue. i have noticed that at the office the internet connection is intermittent sometimes.

Jason,

Would be an easy test if you try it out from home one day - and keep the session idle for 15 mins, if all well - it is a local office problem. Hope that is the cause :)

Cheers,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

On a serious thought, Admin section doesn't have a session id (has anyone seen it in URL???)

You mean as in

osCAdminID=8da29496a950482bcc279dc7e701ea7e

does no one have this issue or something? if everyone does then what are the solutions?

I get logged out after some period of inactivity; I just log in again. It's a sandbox site and I'm not doing any heavy editing so it has never bothered me.

What version of osC are you running?

I get logged out after some period of inactivity; I just log in again. It's a sandbox site and I'm not doing any heavy editing so it has never bothered me.

What version of osC are you running?

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 Release Candidate 1

and i don't have session ID's for the admin section either. and i just tried the whole intermittent internet at my house .. and although i don't have intermittent issues i'm running into the same problem wherer admin just logs me off for idling so i don't think the network issue was a problem :(

and i don't have session ID's for the admin section either. and i just tried the whole intermittent internet at my house .. and although i don't have intermittent issues i'm running into the same problem wherer admin just logs me off for idling so i don't think the network issue was a problem :(

Do you know what your server setting for session.gc_maxlifetime is? You can find it at Admin->Tools->Server info

session.gc_maxlifetime 1440 1440

Jason,

Would be worth to increase setting from 1440(24mins) to 144000 or higher.

Did you actually leave the session open for 24 mins - or did it occur much before 24mins?

Also gather phpinfo() for your server - for anything else that is set for early session exit.

Cheers,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

Archived