• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The amount of time available to edit posts in this forum

djmonkey1

The length of time we get to edit posts  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel the amount of time allowed for the editing of posts on this forum is:

• Too long
    • Just right
    • Too short
    • Way, way, way too short
    • So short it sometimes makes me want to punch my computer screen
    • I don't believe in editing, not even when "span class=postcolor" starts showing up in my code snippets

So, we're posting all sorts of code back and forth to each other, and it's JavaScript, PHP, etc, so you have to make sure you dot all your t's and cross all your i's, and you try to be vigilant, use the Preview Post button, review everything, but sometime stuff slips through. Sometimes it's a lot of stuff. And for this we have the "edit" function. But wouldn't it be nice if we had more than, say, 35 seconds, or whatever the time limit is?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Sometimes I get a "little" aggrevated when a user does not post in the correct thread or asks a question that was answered just a few posts earlier so I end up leaving a "cocky" reply. :blink:

After a short time I feel bad about the reply and would like to go back and edit my comments but it is too late. :blush:

I don't know, maybe my first impulse would be better left alone. :lol:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Is there a reason for the time allowed for editing posts is so short? It seems like 1 hour would be sufficient for almost all circumstances and still not allow too much revisionist history.

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

No, seriously, how is this time limit set? Who controls this? Why can't it be increased to some normal amount of time? We're not dealing with Top Secret information here.

No, seriously, how is this time limit set? Who controls this? Why can't it be increased to some normal amount of time? We're not dealing with Top Secret information here.

Why have a time limit at all?

Why have a time limit at all?

There's some reason for it- what that reason is, I don't know. But an hour seems, to me at least, adequate.

I've accumulated almost 13,000 posts on a spyware removal forum over the past 3 or 4 years.

As far as I know, I can go back and edit any post there that I desire.

I guess it's a preference set by whomever administrates the forum.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Can't really see why it matters but I think it is important for context when reading through threads that the original posting remains.

Except when the original posting contains typos, omissions, errors in the code, etc, etc....

• 2 weeks later...
Can't really see why it matters but I think it is important for context when reading through threads that the original posting remains.

That is the precise reason for setting a limit on editing posts. If an issue needs to be corrected it should be made with another post in the same topic, and not by editing an earlier posting that will bring the context of discussion out of order.

The limit for editing posts is 5 minutes, as mentioned in the forum rules.

:heart:, osCommerce

The limit for editing posts is 5 minutes, as mentioned in the forum rules.

Make it 15 and you've got a deal!

Archived