• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

checkout_shipping.php-----losing or fumbling the session?

quimbys

I am in a testing phase.

A product is added to the cart and the customer tries to check out. At that point they are asked to sign in. They do. After that the cart (the session right?) becomes confused about whether it has a product. The customers signs in and the shopping cart says zero items. Then they go back to the product area and repurchase, a bad thing already at that point. Before they can purchase anything the shopping cart shows the product is in the cart. So you go to checkout. OScommerce asks the customer to sign in. It starts the whole process over again ad infinitum. I have gone away from the site and come back. The cart shows the unpurchased item. Yet when checkout comes, OScommerce asks for a sign in again. The trouble all starts when checkout_shipping.php is called for checkout and so I suspect it has something to do with this code or other stuff that it calls to.

You can have fun with this by going to http://www.okinawa-ts.com/catalog. The cart is under construction, so no damage can done by messing around with it. Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

BTW I visit the site with Firefox on a PC. I haven't tried this with IE, but I think I will...just a moment...Yep same exact sequence of events. This leads me to believe that it's an OSC issue.

Thanks in advance for any help or insider knowledge.

Quimby

I am in a testing phase.

A product is added to the cart and the customer tries to check out. At that point they are asked to sign in. They do. After that the cart (the session right?) becomes confused about whether it has a product. The customers signs in and the shopping cart says zero items. Then they go back to the product area and repurchase, a bad thing already at that point. Before they can purchase anything the shopping cart shows the product is in the cart. So you go to checkout. OScommerce asks the customer to sign in. It starts the whole process over again ad infinitum. I have gone away from the site and come back. The cart shows the unpurchased item. Yet when checkout comes, OScommerce asks for a sign in again. The trouble all starts when checkout_shipping.php is called for checkout and so I suspect it has something to do with this code or other stuff that it calls to.

You can have fun with this by going to http://www.okinawa-ts.com/catalog. The cart is under construction, so no damage can done by messing around with it. Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

BTW I visit the site with Firefox on a PC. I haven't tried this with IE, but I think I will...just a moment...Yep same exact sequence of events. This leads me to believe that it's an OSC issue.

Thanks in advance for any help or insider knowledge.

Quimby

Update, more clues...

It's not checkout_shipping.php. OSC seems to lose track of the session after a new product has been bought. OSC works correctly if I buy something. Close the window. Open it and log back into the shopping cart. Once I buy something else, the whole login loop problem starts again.

Comment: I realize OSC is free and open source, but jeez how can a bug like this exist at this late date?

Anyway, that makes me think that there must be a quick fix. I mean, how can all OSC shopping carts have this bug and still be viable?

Again, any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Quimby

I may have solved this one...

I am not sure. Information on the session settings in OSC are vague and apparently somewhat unpredictable if you read the forums and other sources of info. I use a shared SSL certificate, so forcing cookie use won't work in OSC. However, I turned on most of the other session options in the admin side and things seem to be working correctly for the most part. I am not saying I have fix, but the bad behavior I was experiencing before seems to be gone. In its place I have things strange things that aren't likely to affect a real customer intent on buying something. If this stuff becomes a problem, I will be back here talking about it.

Quimby

What settings are you currently using? Cuz, i'm having simailar problems...

If a customer is logged in (which they will never do first), the cart works fine. Orders work fine, both normal and CCC.

If a customer puts items in their cart, then logs in as required at checkout, everything in the cart disappears!

I am using MySQL sessions, and cookies(i think). Around the same time that I was tinkering, my host, HostMonster, upgraded their cPanel and maybe PHP. So maybe that's related.

What I really need to know, is that when a customer checks out with items in cart, what happens between login.php, and shopping_cart.php where the items disappear?

Can someone show me where the session is stored in the DB? It seems to me that the session resets on login. And I know that I have Recreate Session set to false.

I never miss...

Archived