• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

product options

WootCartoons

I am very new to all of this, and I was referred to using osCommerce by a friend. everything is going well except for my product options/attributes. They are not showing up in order as I wish them to. what am i doing wrong? any help is GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

Did you add the to product options/attributes, in admin and make sure they are there ?

Each product that has colr, model , size issues, needs to have all added to each product....

yeah, that's what I mean. after I add attributes, they get all mixed up and don't stay in order. I have sizes for something, and some list backwards, starting with large values getting smaller, some the opposite way, so on and so forth. I have a blank field in the options as well that I want to be the first thing to show up, but it gets shoved to the bottom. But I create them in the order I want them in, and it moves them all around in the catalog page. hope that all makes sense!

I found this thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24094

This sounds like the solution to my problem, except for one little thing: where it says to change it at line 118, that isn't there for me. I have scanned through and through the code and don't see the code he says to change. What am I looking at wrong?

someone please HELP me!! Thank you so much!!

ok, so it's been several days, and i have been researching this problem over and over and nothing is helping. I'm not sure how to add in a sort by column, etc. I don't understand why they dont stay in order though. I have taken out every attribute and restarted doing them very closely in order, and still no good results. im getting very aggravated, so someone please help me if you can!! thanks!!

well this is what I have figured out today. Hopefully this makes sense to you... i really need this problem fixed, I am just about ready to go live with my site, but without this fixed, I can't.

My code is set to sort the product options by id:

$products_options_name_query = tep_db_query("select distinct popt.products_options_id, popt.products_options_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS . " popt, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " patrib where patrib.products_id='" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and patrib.options_id = popt.products_options_id and popt.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' order by popt.products_options_id");

but this makes no difference if I have sort by name or id...??

I have been looking very closely at the admin section of attributes. As you know, there are three sections: options, values, and attributes. I have been told that it is sorting by the options values area. I would prefer it to sort by the attribute section, but thats not a huge deal, as I have also been told that is going to be more work and that I shouldn't do it. I don't know why though.

aside from that, everything in the values area has been very carefully added IN ORDER, but yet my drop down menus on the product pages are not. I can find no rhyme or reason why they are listed in the order that they are.

Also, another weird thing that I see is in the attribute section. As I go to switch to page two or three, etc, it completely reorders everything. If I even just stay on a certain page, and hit refresh in the browser, they all change positions of where they are. Every other section lists what I enter in the order that I enter it, but not this section. It seems to be all messed up. Also, at one point I completely gutted out everything I had entered on that page to start over again. The top two sections started numbering back at one again, but the attributes picked up at 126.

I am so confused of why it is not working and would REALLY appreciate someones help with this. I have exhausted my brain and resources, and it just doesn't make any sense to me at all why they aren't in order, what its sorting by exactly, and why the third section is some mixed up in the admin section.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thanks!!

Jenny,

Break down the bigger problem in smaller chunks .. your last post does show your frustration - but is also confusing to figure out what needs to be fixed (No offence meant)

Please tell us what is expected in sort order vs. what you get .. and that would help me to figure out what needs to be changed. (I mean give us example of product name / size / price, and current order is this .. and expected or desired is that)

Look forward to your post,

Cheers,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

alrighty... sorry for the confusion!! I am very frustrated because I had someone who was supposed to help me with this, and now has disappeared, although I'm not sure that he knows exactly how to fix it either? There are several problems going on I think, and I'm not sure if any are related to the others.

First let me explain what I need. I am selling custom artwork for people. The products are what styles, such as Warhol, Cartoon, etc.

From the item listing, I need the attribute options: Medium, Poster Size, Canvas Size, Canas stretching, How Many Photos, and Color Options. I need those listed in that order, and they appear to show up correctly. Within those categories, the drop down options need to be listed in this manner:

Medium:

(Choose One)

Digital File

Poster

Canvas

Poster Size:

(Choose One)

10 x 13

11 x 14

12 x 18

16 x 20

16 x 24

18 x 24 (so on and so forth with sizes in order from larger to smaller)

Canvas Size:

(Choose One)

10 x 24

10 x 40

10 x 50

11 x 14

12 x 12 (so on and so forth with sizes in order from larger to smaller)

Canvas Stretching:

(Choose One)

Unstretched (Rolled)

Standard Stretching

Wrap Around Stretching

Gallery Wrap Stretching

How Many Photos:

(Choose One)

1 Photo

2 Photos

3 Photos

4+ Photos

Color Options:

(Choose One)

I have specific colors I wish to use

Designer's Choice - Bright Colors

Designer's Choice - Pastel Colors

Now, when I enter these things in the admin area>attributes, I enter all three sections in the order that I have shown. So I need them to sort in products listings by the attribute option ID and not the name. Although, when I go to the catalog and view the product and the drop down menus, I really have no idea how it's sorting because it just throws them all in a huge jumble. There is no reasoning behind the way they are listed, from what I can tell. I have a good problem solving brain, but this one just leaves me stumped. I don't know what I'm missing!!

Also, the third area in the admin attributes section (Where you apply the entered attributes to specific products) the numbering does not restart at one when I delete the items out and start fresh. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not. When it's empty, it shows that it will start at one, but then once i've added a product's attribute, it starts back at the last number. Right now thats around 150.

Also, that same area keeps rearranging itself for no reason. If i hit refresh, it re-jumbles them?? The other two sections all stay in the order of ID number, and if I delete all options out and restart, they start back at one again, like I believe they should.

sigh.... im so confused!! :blink:

thanks for your help!!!

Also, the third area in the admin attributes section (Where you apply the entered attributes to specific products) the numbering does not restart at one when I delete the items out and start fresh. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not. When it's empty, it shows that it will start at one, but then once i've added a product's attribute, it starts back at the last number. Right now thats around 150.

Table in question has auto_increment feature - thus it would always continue to grow from last id +1 .. You should ignore this bit.

Thx,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

Now, when I enter these things in the admin area>attributes, I enter all three sections in the order that I have shown. So I need them to sort in products listings by the attribute option ID and not the name. Although, when I go to the catalog and view the product and the drop down menus, I really have no idea how it's sorting because it just throws them all in a huge jumble. There is no reasoning behind the way they are listed, from what I can tell. I have a good problem solving brain, but this one just leaves me stumped. I don't know what I'm missing!!

OK I think now I have bit idea on what is required vs what you see... correct me if I am wrong you want following code to appear in sorted order -- > which is currently showing as 3, 7, 1 and choose One (instead of Choose One, 1,3,7)

<td class="main"><select name="id[]"><option value="5">Canvas</option><option value="4">Poster</option><option value="3">Digital File</option><option value="7"></option><option value="1">(Choose One)</option></select></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="main">Poster Size:</td>

<td class="main"><select name="id[]"><option value="17">24 x 36 (+$55.00)</option><option value="16">20 x 30 (+$50.00)</option><option value="13">18 x 24 (+$40.00)</option><option value="12">16 x 24 (+$38.00)</option><option value="11">16 x 20 (+$35.00)</option><option value="10">12 x 18 (+$30.00)</option><option value="9">11 x 14 (+$27.00)</option><option value="8">10 x 13 (+$25.00)</option><option value="7"></option><option value="1">(Choose One)</option><option value="19">36 x 48 (+$65.00)</option><option value="18">30 x 40 (+$60.00)</option><option value="15">20 x 24 (+$45.00)</option><option value="14">20 x 20 (+$40.00)</option></select></td>

Might pick this up further tomorrow, its rather late in this part of the world though :)

Cheers,

Best Regards,
Gaurav

yes that appears to be so... changing that order. I'm not sure what those numbers are exactly, but I need the (Choose One) option first, then a blank line, then Digital File, Poster, and then Canvas.

Thanks for your help so far... get some rest!!

... was one of the individuals who said he could give me 20 minutes of his time to discuss the industry. He shared a great deal of advice that I still remember very clearly today. After talking with him for over an hour, I thanked him profusely, and told him I hoped I could somehow repay his kindness in taking time to meet with me. He smiled and said,

"You can show your appreciation by always taking the time to share what you have learned about the business with others interested in the profession."

~From a book by Jeff Fisher

Archived