• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

interesting conversation with worldpay

I've just had a long call with worldpay, to get my website meeting their standards in order to activate my account. They have now done this, but I had a very interesting chat with one of their activation team.

I wasnt fully aware of what a chargeback was, so he explained it fully to me.

For those who dont know; a charge back is when a CUSTOMER contacts their CC company within 6 months, and says "I bought X from X, and its broken/isnt the right item/isnt as described", the credit card company then takes the money back from Worldpay (or your merchant), and in the case of worldpay YOU get charged £10 for the admin involved.

My point was "well what if someone SAYS they got the wrong item", when in fact they were sent the correct item? His answer.....there isnt much you can do about it. He was also saying that its important to have proof of postage for all items.

Apparantly chargeback is a massive issue in the USA, and most consumers are aware they can do this. In europe it isnt quite so well advertised, but no doubt over the next few years it will become more widely known in the UK too.

well what if someone SAYS they got the wrong item", when in fact they were sent the correct item? His answer.....there isnt much you can do about it.

i've always wondered about the mentality of this. if sellers stopped taking credit cards just because of this, they'd be out of business (the credit card companies).

buyers are much more disposable to credit card companies than sellers, one would think.

i will never understand why the buyer's word is more reliable than the sellers is to them.

because your average seller's track record will (in most cases) have substantially more records than the buyer. the seller's been involved with more people and therefore should have a more solid reputation and should be believed over a buyer that has only a few transactions under their belt.

i think it would also be enormously helpful to sellers and probably detour a lot of buyer fraud if the seller could see the buyer's chargeback history (how many complaints, what they complained about, etc.)

there doesn't seem to be any repercussion against buyers that make a habit of making petty chargebacks ("oh it's only been a week and i didn't get the stuff yet, i think i am being ripped off") or using a chargeback as a means of communication (not attempting to get their information from the seller prior to doing a chatgeback)

i've always wondered about the mentality of this. if sellers stopped taking credit cards just because of this, they'd be out of business (the credit card companies).

buyers are much more disposable to credit card companies than sellers, one would think.

i will never understand why the buyer's word is more reliable than the sellers is to them.

because your average seller's track record will (in most cases) have substantially more records than the buyer. the seller's been involved with more people and therefore should have a more solid reputation and should be believed over a buyer that has only a few transactions under their belt.

i think it would also be enormously helpful to sellers and probably detour a lot of buyer fraud if the seller could see the buyer's chargeback history (how many complaints, what they complained about, etc.)

there doesn't seem to be any repercussion against buyers that make a habit of making petty chargebacks ("oh it's only been a week and i didn't get the stuff yet, i think i am being ripped off") or using a chargeback as a means of communication (not attempting to get their information from the seller prior to doing a chatgeback)

Isnt there a policy in place that if a buyer is having a problem, the credit card company is supposed to ensure that they have waited a reasonable amount of time, and tried to resolve the issue directly with the seller? If there isn't such a policy in place, there should be.

Its not so worry for small items, but imagine if your selling a TV for 3k, and someone say "oops you sent me a 14" matsu, ill do a chargeback"....if the CC issues this chargeback on the buyers word, there isnt anything the seller could do about it. Frightening stuff!

there doesn't seem to be any checks and balances when it comes to chargebacks. almost as though the buyer has free reign to do what they please.

i've had chargebacks before, when i have a tracking # proving they got their stuff. why isn't the credit card company demanding the customer return the merchandise to me before giving them their money back?

or in your example, sure maybe the seller made a mistake - why does the buyer get to keep that merch instead of having proof of it's return from the seller before they get their money back?

waiting a reasonable amount of time before doing a chargeback should not be the issue. the customer should be REQUIRED to contact the seller and work out any misunderstandings before having the option of starting a chargeback.

the cc companies should demand some sort of record from the seller, that an attempt has been made (on the buyer's part) to work out any problems they have.

Archived