• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Category Box Mayhem

cielorganic

OK, Let me try this again.

I've made a change to the categories.php to add horizontal rules between the categories in the box. I changed the line 54: $categories_string .= '<hr>'; from <br> to <hr>. This is per the OSComm documentation.

The resulting change looks great. Exactly what I want. But......

If use use only the categories and their links within the box itself, everything looks great and works fine. Everytime I use something other than the categories links to call up another page (i.e. say header nav to get to the shopping_cart.php, create_account.php or even the index.php itself, the categories box reverts back to the default look without horizontal rules. It gets even weirder in that there is one particular category that makes it revert back to default while the rest still have horizontal lines. I hope that makes sense as I am very new to this.

If this doesn't make sense, try having a looksie Website

My guess, and yes I am a complete newbie, is that some style from the stylesheet is being applied to the category box when a top level page is being called. I've explored and tried changing everything I can find to change, styles, classes, pages. I'm quite stuck.

Is there anything else that would be overriding the category box? Is there a style class that needs to be written/added to or changed? Is there some code that can be added to all of the top level pages that force the category box to behave?

hi Curtis, the box behaves for me both in IE and FF just fine. I clicked through many diff pages to make sure. Could you be seeing some cached version?

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Hi Monika,

Thanks for taking a moment to reply. Just in case it was a cache thing, I cleared all the caches, closed and reopened the site in all the browsers I have: Safari, IE5, and Firefox. Still have those problems with the box defaulting after you call up a top level page (for instance: after visiting the organic clothing category from the category box where everything is fine, the defaulting problem comes up when going back to the main page or calling up the shopping cart from the header nav, etc.)

Any other ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

it IS caching :-)

And I did not get your issues cause for me the site popped up in German, and you did not have a German cached cat box yet. I switched - manually - to English (read post #13 here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177838) and had the same issues you described.

Go to admin, and delete in tools the cat cache file for categories.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Archived