• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

MATCHING PRODUCTS CROSS-SELL

homewetbar

The purpose of this contribution is to allow you to cross-sell matching or coordinating products to customers for almost any use such as completing an outfit, other books in a series, color matching items, etc....

This is done by simply adding product SKUs (product ids) to the product page in admin in the following fashion SKU, SKU, SKU, etc.

Then on the catalog product page 3 of these SKUs are randomly selected to display as "matching" cross-sell items if they are in stock, allowing you to increase your cross sells and not have to micro-manage them. Can be easily added to even the most modified of stores.

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This contribution has now been released: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,5347

Thanks go to all of the other contribution makers, as I'll freely admit I looked at bits and pieces of other oscommerce contribution codes for help in the designing of this contribution.

Edited by homewetbar

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

do you have a screenshot of this code in action ?

I have been using family products, I wonder how different this is ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

do you have a screenshot of this code in action ?

I have been using family products, I wonder how different this is ?

Hello,

I do not have a screen shot but here is the gist of the current layout (which you can modify easily for your site):

Matching products:

[image] [image] [image]

name name name

It works kinda like the JC Penney cross sell shown here: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.a...;itemid=11aa54b but in horizontal fashion instead of verticle.

The thought is not to try and do a listing like a category, rather showcase products that match/coordinate with the product they are looking at that they can click on and then view and add them to their cart.

Edited by homewetbar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I was amazed how easy the directions are for this contribution! Anyway the problem: admin the sku numbers pop up I add them but the products they do not show up in the catalog online here's a screen shot ascrn.jpg Everything seems fine but when the item is loaded there is no matching sku'S here is the link to see this is the product with the added skus: http://healingcrystals.net/store/product_i...;products_id=82

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Rocky

I went through all the steps. I am having a problem with the change to catalog/product_info.php. It seems to be when I add the code about line 220. When I add it, I get an error every time I click on a product at my store. It says there is a > on line 409. One try, I manage to take out the > that was the right one, then there was an error that a $ was located at about line 440.

Any ideas? I was able to delete that code before line 220 and my site works again. However, the contribution does not work.

Hi I was amazed how easy the directions are for this contribution! Anyway the problem: admin the sku numbers pop up I add them but the products they do not show up in the catalog online here's a screen shot ascrn.jpg Everything seems fine but when the item is loaded there is no matching sku'S here is the link to see this is the product with the added skus: http://healingcrystals.net/store/product_i...;products_id=82

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Rocky

Did you do the product_info.php steps?

I went through all the steps. I am having a problem with the change to catalog/product_info.php. It seems to be when I add the code about line 220. When I add it, I get an error every time I click on a product at my store. It says there is a > on line 409. One try, I manage to take out the > that was the right one, then there was an error that a $ was located at about line 440.

Any ideas? I was able to delete that code before line 220 and my site works again. However, the contribution does not work.

Sounds like you are missing a ; ?> or <?php bracket somewhere.

Did you do the product_info.php steps?

yes then I get an error message syntax error line 277 I did notice that I have a box that goes with the product called " other customers who bought this also bought and shows 6 photos here is the code:

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<?php

if ((USE_CACHE == 'true') && empty($SID)) {

echo tep_cache_also_purchased(3600);

} else {

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ALSO_PURCHASED_PRODUCTS);

}

}

it comes right after the matching products code could that be causing the problem?

yes then I get an error message syntax error line 277 I did notice that I have a box that goes with the product called " other customers who bought this also bought and shows 6 photos here is the code:

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<?php

if ((USE_CACHE == 'true') && empty($SID)) {

echo tep_cache_also_purchased(3600);

} else {

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ALSO_PURCHASED_PRODUCTS);

}

}

it comes right after the matching products code could that be causing the problem?

I've got an extremely modified store so it's hard for me to tell you exactly what point in the code you should put the matching cross sell code if it does not work for you in the default area, but I poped my code in the instructions into jEdit to check and the code itself does not have any errors according to jEdit.

Backup your file and try moving it around in the product_info.php and see what happens. It's not going to do any harm, worst case it won't work, then try it in another spot and so on and so on. Then please post what you find and where you actually get it to work for others to see in the forum.

Edited by homewetbar

I have got the same problens...anyone discovered what it is ? I have put it eveywhere.. the code may have a problem inside ?

quote name='homewetbar' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:20 PM' post='1124956']

I've got an extremely modified store so it's hard for me to tell you exactly what point in the code you should put the matching cross sell code if it does not work for you in the default area, but I poped my code in the instructions into jEdit to check and the code itself does not have any errors according to jEdit.

Backup your file and try moving it around in the product_info.php and see what happens. It's not going to do any harm, worst case it won't work, then try it in another spot and so on and so on. Then please post what you find and where you actually get it to work for others to see in the forum.

I have got the same problens...anyone discovered what it is ? I have put it eveywhere.. the code may have a problem inside ?

quote name='homewetbar' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:20 PM' post='1124956']

Try moving the code up one line... Tell me how that works.

Now that I got it to work it seens like the easiest ans most perfect cross sell solution fo oscommerce right now..

Maybe the only thing is to make that last step on product_info easier for people.. I almost gave up trying.. hehe

Nice script !

It appears just a ?> was missing at the end of the product_info.php code. I have added that to the install now.

Hello,

I do not have a screen shot but here is the gist of the current layout (which you can modify easily for your site):

Matching products:

[image] [image] [image]

name name name

It works kinda like the JC Penney cross sell shown here: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.a...;itemid=11aa54b but in horizontal fashion instead of verticle.

The thought is not to try and do a listing like a category, rather showcase products that match/coordinate with the product they are looking at that they can click on and then view and add them to their cart.

Hello!

This seems like an awsome addition.

I'm planning to add the new SPPC 4.20, which is going to be released this week by Janz. I guess there has to be some modifications to yours in order to make them play nice together. My question is, would you mind consider looking into this?

Hello!

This seems like an awsome addition.

I'm planning to add the new SPPC 4.20, which is going to be released this week by Janz. I guess there has to be some modifications to yours in order to make them play nice together. My question is, would you mind consider looking into this?

I have no idea what SPPC is... However this contrib is a very light install and should not interfer with other contribs unless the contribs you are installing heavily modify oscommerce, it that case you are likely a skilled enough programmer to make them "play nice" together anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Contrib !

That`s just I searched for. Very uncomplicated Cross Selling module !

I have only 1 wish:

it would be nice if it would be possible to make more than 3 Cross Selling Items......

:rolleyes:

This is the best Cross Selling contrib because very uncomplicated !!

I tried out 2-3 contribs but they were not very useful for admins...

OSC Webmakers Edition modiefied with many other contribs and enhancements.

+ STS 4.5.7 for 2.2MS2 and RC1

• 2 weeks later...

I modified SQL statement to see more than 3 matching products but unfortunately they are all displayed in one single line and my layout is breaking out over the right border.

Further more the text of matching products images is displayed right of the images - it should be displayed below the images.

OSC Webmakers Edition modiefied with many other contribs and enhancements.

+ STS 4.5.7 for 2.2MS2 and RC1

• 3 weeks later...

i loved this contribution!!

but i wanted to change the way it is showing the products.. as my shop is highly modified.. is there any way i can put these matching products in verticle pattern but not to change the place of the products!

??

please guide me here!

thx

outside links are not allowed in signatures

Thanks for the contribution - just what I was looking for.

I added v1.1 which uses the standard content box format on product info page compatible with STS template, ensuring style is consistent with template and existing style. No changes to features or to admin section.

I installed it on a version of OSC 2.2RC1 with STS V4.5.4, and also checked it on a clean version of 2.2RC1.

This package modifies v1.0a moving HTML output to new module matching_products.php, using the existing contentBox() function. Full package included.

To show more than 3 products edit line 22 of includes/modules/matching_products.php and change ($count < 3) to ($count < 6) (for example). Products will be shown upto 3 per line.

To show the products vertically, i.e. one per line edit 32 of includes/modules/matching_products and change ($col > 2) to ($col > 0).

... I haven't tried either of these changes

This is installed and working :D , but I can only get Matching Items to display if I add more than one SKU to a product........with one matching SKU it doesn't show up in product_info.......any ideas?

I tried the single column and increasing the items to display :rolleyes: and these work just great.

This is installed and working :D , but I can only get Matching Items to display if I add more than one SKU to a product........with one matching SKU it doesn't show up in product_info.......any ideas?

I tried the single column and increasing the items to display :rolleyes: and these work just great.

That is how it is designed to work. You must have 2 or more SKUs in there, the reasoning for this is I wanted it to be an add SKUs and forget them, I didn't want the contrib to be one that required constant micro-managing. So if it displayed when there was only one matching sku and that sku was out of stock or turned off in admin then it would display a blank box.... The chances of that happening with 2 or more skus is far less that is why 2 or more SKUs are required to active the box.

You could make up a SKU for the second one if you really wanted to and it would display only the real active one, but that defeats the purpose of the whole fail safe I built into the system...