• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just using the shopping cart? Newbie question

johnmr

I am setting up a site that has a pretty complex front end for displaying products - including some dynamic flash elements. I've looked at using the STS contribution to display this, but I think it is going to be too complicated for STS to handle. My question is can I somehow tie into just the shopping cart part of osCommerce. What I'm thinking is that I would have my own front pages in html and just point the "buy" button to the osCommerce shopping cart. I've installed osC on my server and have it running. Just as an experiment, I tried creating a quick html file with this link:

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/product_info...ion=add_product

This seems to be the code that drives the "add to cart" button in the osc store. Obviously, the above link doesn't work. I'm guessing it is a cookie or session issue.

The question is, is there a way around this? Has anyone done this? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

JMR

I am setting up a site that has a pretty complex front end for displaying products - including some dynamic flash elements. I've looked at using the STS contribution to display this, but I think it is going to be too complicated for STS to handle. My question is can I somehow tie into just the shopping cart part of osCommerce. What I'm thinking is that I would have my own front pages in html and just point the "buy" button to the osCommerce shopping cart. I've installed osC on my server and have it running. Just as an experiment, I tried creating a quick html file with this link:

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/product_info...ion=add_product

This seems to be the code that drives the "add to cart" button in the osc store. Obviously, the above link doesn't work. I'm guessing it is a cookie or session issue.

The question is, is there a way around this? Has anyone done this? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

JMR

MR JMR,

I'm not an expert but here's my 2 cents worth...

I know that there are contributions that will change osCommerce's appearance and I would hazard a guess that using those contributions will probably be your fastest, easiest way to accomplish your goals.

From my limited experience:

- modifying osCommerce's code that controls its display and style: not so difficult :-"

- modifying osCommerce's code that controls the shopping cart and its integrated logic: DIFFICULT! >_<

Archived