• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing of text in pages of php

phillife76

Hi there,

Please forgive my stupidity. I have spent hours sitting in front of this forum n google n i still cant figure out how to edit those text found in the oscommerce template that i had setup and running.

I had even save the page to my desktop, edit the source code as in html and upload back to the site as i would do for any html site. Indeed the text has changed but the link doesnt work anymore, so i guess php dont work that way.

I had list my test site as below.

http://pc2k.freehostia.com/shop/

My question is if i want to change the text such as "Hardware" which you see in the web or the image "special offer for professional" how do i change it?

Please advice. All help appreciated!

Thanks

Phil, as you appear to be a complete newbie, I suggest you read the whole knowledgebase and documentation or David Mercer's osCommerce book if you prefer a more hands on structure. There are different sections of your shop, like Hardware, which is in the database and edited in admin, but I really think you need a good global overview before you jump in here.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Phil, as you appear to be a complete newbie, I suggest you read the whole knowledgebase and documentation or David Mercer's osCommerce book if you prefer a more hands on structure. There are different sections of your shop, like Hardware, which is in the database and edited in admin, but I really think you need a good global overview before you jump in here.

Hi Monika,

Good day to you. Yes, u r rite. i am completely new to this. The furthest i had done for web design is a static html pages...

Actually i dont need to edit much on this template. I already figured out how to add product, change the product name in the GUI of the admin tool, etc.

But i just couldnt figure out how to change those text/images that appear in the pages itself. in html is easy as we will just change it via notepad. but here is driving me nuts. can you point me to anywhere?

I'll reply in aminute, but by all means remove the install dir in FTP, or someone can reinstall your shop and all your database changes are gone

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

ok, the words hardware, software etc are obviously hardcoded links in your header, extremely bad template practice. Obviously, they should pull actual top categories from your database.

I'd try header.php to find that code

The special offer image is probably hardcoded into the root file index.php, towards the bottom

Monika

ok, the words hardware, software etc are obviously hardcoded links in your header, extremely bad template practice. Obviously, they should pull actual top categories from your database.

I'd try header.php to find that code

The special offer image is probably hardcoded into the root file index.php, towards the bottom

Thanks, i will remove the install folder if that is what you mean. And hardcoded linkmean cannot be changed?

Really appreciated your help, :)

Thanks, i will remove the install folder if that is what you mean. And hardcoded linkmean cannot be changed?

Really appreciated your help, :)

Hi I managed to change the word "Hardware" in the header.php. But how do you know it is in the header.php in the first place? and i m using textpad. if you want to change the other words, how do i search for it to know which php it belong? Thanks

Hi I managed to change the word "Hardware" in the header.php. But how do you know it is in the header.php in the first place? and i m using textpad. if you want to change the other words, how do i search for it to know which php it belong? Thanks

Thanks Monika! I managed to sort the the questions i posted aboved. You reallyhave been a great help as your answer above lead me into my thinking cap! Thanks.

Archived