• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Link exchange is dead - don't do it!

FWR Media

Just came across this info and thought it important to get it in the oscommerce public domain, especially as there are contributions for reciprocal link exchange.

Google Webmasters Topic

Just came across this info and thought it important to get it in the oscommerce public domain, especially as there are contributions for reciprocal link exchange.

Google Webmasters Topic

Thanks for the link. You are right about link exchanges.

Google Webmasters Topic

You are misinterpreting what that page says. That has been google's policy for years but link exchanges still are a very valid way to increase page rank. That page doesn't say otherwise.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You are misinterpreting what that page says. That has been google's policy for years but link exchanges still are a very valid way to increase page rank. That page doesn't say otherwise.

Jack

Am I?

However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results.

And ...

* Links intended to manipulate PageRank

* Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web

* Link exchange and reciprocal links schemes ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")

* Buying or selling links

Which bit did I misunderstand Jack?

Am I?

And ...

Which bit did I misunderstand Jack?

You didn't quote the text right above that text which states
Examples of link schemes can include:
PR is totally determined by links to your site and google knows this, since they invented it. They are not saying to not do link exchanges, they are saying not to manipulate the system. If you take the text literally, the first line,
Links intended to manipulate PageRank
would pretty much eliminate all links since that is all any site uses them for. If you add links properly (related to your content) and over time (ten a month instead of ten an hour), they work as they should and will raise your PR.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ha ha nice manipulation Jack

and you miss the part that lends meaning to the part I missed and you quoted :D

Examples of link schemes can include:

Is headed by ..

However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results.

Surely this is the reason for people having automated link systems, or link management systems.

Don't get me wrong Jack I'm a fan of both your coding and your contributions, I also realise that you support a link management contrib that will, as usual be very well coded.

I only made this post as I removed my own "links system" some 6 months ago on getting a "sniff" of this and this article brought it to the fore for me, I therefore thought it a good idea to post the link.

This post was not intended as an attack on authors of link management contributions

link exchanging used to be the best way to get people to your site. as far as i'm concerned, google killed this by introducing page rank and even telling the world what it means and what it's for.

if they had kept this information under wraps there wouldn't be any need for concern on their case and worrying about people and the "link to me, i'll link to you" - that type of "scheme" existed long before them as a means to trade traffic and wasn't overly abused until they came along.

it's very difficult to get people to link to you nowadays because of this. and the "oh i won't bleed my pagerank by linking to this website or that website"

i use the link manager contribution and i don't even bother maintaining it anymore, because everytime i log onto my who's online i see a set of bots trying to pummel my filters to add their crappy sites to my directory.

either that, or when i do finally take a peek at the pending links and see a site i like, when i approve them.. then return to their site in a week, they've removed my link! trying to steal pagerank, i guess.

i've found bothering with links in general is futile. just put your page up and hope for the best, huh.

Ha ha nice manipulation Jack

and you miss the part that lends meaning to the part I missed and you quoted :D

Is headed by ..

Surely this is the reason for people having automated link systems, or link management systems.

Don't get me wrong Jack I'm a fan of both your coding and your contributions, I also realise that you support a link management contrib that will, as usual be very well coded.

I only made this post as I removed my own "links system" some 6 months ago on getting a "sniff" of this and this article brought it to the fore for me, I therefore thought it a good idea to post the link.

This post was not intended as an attack on authors of link management contributions

I don't take any offense at anything you said and this has nothing to do with Links Manager (my support of it). You are taking some words google wrote and interpreting them exactly as they are written and that is not what is meant by them. It isn't a matter of me manipulating the words. Google invented PR and said the way to get it is to have relevant sites link to your site. When they realized people were taking advantage of the system, they made a general, fuzzy, statement, which they often do, to try to control it. They are not saying they do not want anyone to have link exchanges. That would hurt them financially with lost ad sales. They just don't want you to spend all night tonight adding a thousand links to your site to increase the PR. The idea of link exchanges is supposed to be that you do an exchange if the exchange will be beneficial to your site. That is why google says such links should be relevant, although they don't really define relevant. So if you follow the intent of link exchanges, you won't violate google's guidelines at all.

I'm not arguing in favor of PR. In fact, if you look at many of my posts here, you wil find that I have always said it is pretty much a waste of effort as compared to doing actual SEO work on a site. But it will help a site a little and is useful for some.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Natural linking, inspired by content, not SEO firms, seems to be Google's end goal.

But, I'm going to wait and see for this one. Honestly, does Google even know all the side effects of this new algorithm yet? They write their webmaster guidelines vauge for a reason you know.

A similar discussion (but less politician like) is being discussed on the marketingchat forums right now. Some good points are mentioned there if you are interested in further reading.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Natural linking, inspired by content, not SEO firms, seems to be Google's end goal.

But, I'm going to wait and see for this one. Honestly, does Google even know all the side effects of this new algorithm yet? They write their webmaster guidelines vauge for a reason you know.

A similar discussion (but less politician like) is being discussed on the marketingchat forums right now. Some good points are mentioned there if you are interested in further reading.

My view is that Google is floundering about trying to clean up the mess they initiated in the first place.

Hello all,

After reading this thread, the link Babygurgles provided, and reading Google's explanation of page ranking, I've came to conclusion that Google's goal is to encourage sites to link to sites that share a relationship. Making them relevant to each other.

Basically, choose quality links over the quantity of links and you should have a strong source of targeted traffic. And not having to worry about Google getting frustrated with you.

With Jack's latest Links Manager Contrib, you can turn the reciprocal linking off. Also, you have more control over the types of sites that your site links to. Furthermore, your link partners send you targeted traffic. Also, when you use the categoral structure to your link management, that would discourage some webmasters from attempting to exchange links.

Babygurgles, thank you for raising my eyebrows. Your post made me want to do a little research. So if a webmaster link to sites with content that share a relationship with his/her site that will improve their pageranking. Therefore, all sites that share similar content will appear in more relevant search results.

Link exchanges aren't exactly dead, you just have to do it the right way. I guess you would call the shiesty... way? I know it's probably wrong but I signed up for linkmarket.net, setup my link page etc like im suppose to. I used nofollow tags to the links page though so google completely ignores it, still helps my link partners for MSN and Yahoo, which I could care less about.

The think with linking to linkfarms or doing reciprocal linking is that google is getting alot smarter. They look at your link and then compare your site to the site you're linked to. If you have 20 links on sites that have nothing to do with your website and I have 5 links on sites pertaining to my topic and then they carry more weight.

Another good way to get cheap one way links is to search around google ;). I don't want to give my secrets away but I was able to get my website at the #2 spot in less then 3 weeks from registering the domain. The keyword gets 7,000 searches per month.

I used nofollow tags to the links page though so google completely ignores it, still helps my link partners for MSN and Yahoo, which I could care less about.

Of course why do you care other sites but I wonder who's going to exchange link with you if nofollow tag is use in your site? Maybe only people with nofollow tag too or only idiot will do.. LOL

Most people that do mass link exchanges use nofollow and if you don't you're not that smart on how SEO works. If you don't believe me go look around, you will see that alot of them use no follow.

Btw my site moved to #1 yesterday for my keyword which receives 7,000 searches per month ;).

So where do you got SERP/PR juice if your have nofollow tag backlinks? You said it..smart ppl know how SEO works.

I have linkmarket.net account too. I won't exchange if the site has nofollow tag, nofollow meta tag and "long not SEO friendly URL" cause google/yahoo won't crawl/index it, I also check the site robots.txt.

PS, whats you daily traffic from search engine? What are you selling? just interesting..

Look around google for cheap one way links, then use the info on that page to find more links of the same nature.

I will give you one secret, and if you can't figure it out then i'm sorry.

Search for "Powered by: Word Links Pro" in google. ;)

I sell clothing. I receive about 200 - 300 uniques a day to my website, which is all coming from search engines. All of my traffic is highly targeted because I target keywords based on my product, meaning search terms people are using to purchase my specific product, not just a general search term.

And as far as the nofollow, you are one of the very few people who check others reciprocal links pages to check for nofollow. I have had nofollow on my links directory since I started the website 2 months ago, and currently have over 120 pending link requests in my LinkMarket.net account. I honestly don't use my linkmarket account because I have the ranking I need.

"Powered by: Word Links Pro"

Word cloud don't or pass very few juice, most of them are dropped domains. That's why they're selling $1 for an anchor text. You'll see their PR drops next PR update. I suggest you better find related sites to exchange or buy links. Good luck!

Btw, this isn't secret, and you know Google will soon ban these kind of sites. It's easy to see on their title.

LOL, I am not saying the only thing I do is go to word clouds and get links. It takes a LOT more then just word cloud links. That is a start though, and if you believe that they don't carry very much weight, then that is your own opinion. I have been able to get two sites ranked both #1 and #2 now for my competitive keywords in under 2 months using word clouds along with basic onpage SEO.

The is a difference between long term and short term SEO strategies...

For short term traffic and ranking, yes paying for the mentioned link type can be effective.

BUT, it can also have a negative effect on the long term SEO results.

Archived