• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Create a demo store only

veteranwebdesign

Hello,

I know demo store data is installed as default. What I want to do is make a demo store, meaning not allow users to see MySQL information or anything they shouldn't see.

I only want the user to get the feel for the osC store so they can decide to use it. This is a web design business that I run. I have others install and design the store but I also like to learn this stuff and want to set this part up myself.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to not have to password protect the files if I can help it.

Thanks

Hello,

I know demo store data is installed as default. What I want to do is make a demo store, meaning not allow users to see MySQL information or anything they shouldn't see.

I only want the user to get the feel for the osC store so they can decide to use it. This is a web design business that I run. I have others install and design the store but I also like to learn this stuff and want to set this part up myself.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to not have to password protect the files if I can help it.

Thanks

If it's just for you and your fellow workers to look at, then why not set it up locally on your own computer.

If it's for others to use then put it online, but conceal it by writing an index.html file in the shop root directory. Users can still access the index.php file. If you don't want people accessing Admin then don't give them the password! That's will not stop anyone from "finding" your shop, but does that really matter?

well if you ask me, I would set up demo with admin access. They then can create fake accounts, fake orders and so on, you don't process them in any way. Even if they get mysql data (via backup which you can eliminate), there is nothing that can harm your site, no passes to database or ftp server. Then you could set up so that you run cron jobs (automatic) every day or maybe a week to delete all users and orders so that they aren't annoying. so what do you think about my suggestion?

Archived