• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please help...

digital-tech-uk

Hello,

I am a complete beginner, I have an ebay shop and would like to have my own website too. I am good with HTML and dreamweaver but have no clue about ecommerce websites and their operations. Where do you think I should start? shall I get a normal ecommerce site to gain some experience before trying oscommerce?

I have seen many web hosts offering to set up the oscommerce for you if you join them, would anyone know if that is a good place to start?

Thank you

Hello,

I am a complete beginner, I have an ebay shop and would like to have my own website too. I am good with HTML and dreamweaver but have no clue about ecommerce websites and their operations. Where do you think I should start? shall I get a normal ecommerce site to gain some experience before trying oscommerce?

I have seen many web hosts offering to set up the oscommerce for you if you join them, would anyone know if that is a good place to start?

Thank you

If you are just wanting to get your feet wet, then I would suggest that you create a folder on your web site and install osCommerce there and play around with it. Once you get used to it, you could reinstall to where you want it or just keep it where it is at and integrate your existing web site with it.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

well picking hosting provider only because they offer you simple installation service isn't such a good idea, I rather pick them because of their qualities

so yes, as bill said, install it somewhere and play around.. we are here to answer your questions

Their offer of installing osCommerce is not much of an offer since it's easy enough for anyone to do. If they offer Fantastico as part of the webhosting deal, as most webhosts do, then you won't need for them to install it.

You just click on Fantastico icon, click on osC, and it gets installed by itself.

They probably mean that they will customize it and put a few of the products in.

If this is the case, then again, it's not worth it because it's better for you to learn how to add your own itens.

If they mean that they will do the colors and graphics and header logos and banners, then you might consider, but still, if you know Adobe Photoshop, it's better for you to do it, as I doubt that they will want to spend much time with you trying to get it as perfect as you might want it.

Unless it involves something that you'd rather not do or believe yourself unqualified to do, then don't take their service. It's better for you to learn how to manage your own store.

man of a reformed faith.

Thanks very much guys.

I just got a little intimidated after reading the installation document, because I really did not understand most of it. I’ve only ever set up simple websites using Dreamweaver and then uploading them to the server. I will have a go and see how I get on but I might be back here asking some really stupid questions if you don’t mind.

Archived