• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping fee for Virtual Products

sophocles

I know Kllw just posted a similar topic to this but I dont know if we are having the exact same problems.

Anyway I run a small OS commerce store that is starting to offer products for digital downloads. So far everything appears to be working just fine except for one small thing. When a customer goes to order a physical item and then a virtual item they will get charged shipping on both items instead of just the physical items.

I have tested this out throughly and when a customer orders just virtual items there is no problem, and when the customer orders just physical items again no problem. It just the combination of the two causes problems. For example a $30 download in conjuction with a $70 physical product will be charged a shipping fee of $10 (we use a flat %10 shipping fee) instead of $7.

I tried searching the forum and the only thing I came across was this:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130024

So far everything i tried doesn't seem to solve this small problem.

For example a $30 download in conjuction with a $70 physical product will be charged a shipping fee of $10 (we use a flat %10 shipping fee) instead of $7.

I would recommend using another shipping method based on weight. I got so many mods in my cart, i dont recall if table rate comes with osc or you have to isntall it. Either Table Rate or % allows you to specify if you want to do the percent off the price or the weight.

Now the work around part, set the weight value to the same value as the price. But only for hte items that you want to hit with shipping cost. Your virtual products, put at 0 weight.

Another seperate attempt is to put a notice on your shopping cart page advising custoemrs not to mix orders, but that may result is fewer orders :P

Best Regards,

Salvatore Iozzia

Loaded Commerce - Oscommerce - All Loaded Up.

I would recommend using another shipping method based on weight. I got so many mods in my cart, i dont recall if table rate comes with osc or you have to isntall it. Either Table Rate or % allows you to specify if you want to do the percent off the price or the weight.

Now the work around part, set the weight value to the same value as the price. But only for hte items that you want to hit with shipping cost. Your virtual products, put at 0 weight.

Another seperate attempt is to put a notice on your shopping cart page advising custoemrs not to mix orders, but that may result is fewer orders :P

Thank you.

I was also thinking maybe trying out that zero weight free shipping since % rate only does price i think and just set all my physical items at non zero weights

Archived