• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax/VAT not being excluded from Shopping Cart

Historian

I understood that I can set up my UK store so that Tax is added to all products, but in the shopping cart Tax will be removed if the country in the shipping address is outside the Tax Zone. Unfortunately, this isn't happening! Tax remains on countries outside the European Community in my cart.

I have read a lot of forum comments and looked at contributions. Knowledge base etc., but can't see what needs doing. Can anyone help me please?

Here are the my Admin settings relevant to Tax:

My Store > Country Set to "United Kingdom"

My Store > Zone "The zone my store is located in" This is left blank

My Store > Display Prices with Tax" Set to "true"

Location/Taxes > Tax Zones Defined one zone "European Community" containing 27 countries

Location/Taxes > Tax Classes - Defined two classes:

"VAT - Standard Rate" "Normal UK tax rate"

"VAT - Zero Rated" "Applicable to Books, Maps"

Location/Taxes > Tax - Defined two classes:

"VAT - Standard Rate" - UK - 17.50 - "UK Standard VAT Rate" - 1

"VAT - Zero Rated" - UK - 0.00 - "UK Zero Rated " - 0

I have no Tax Contributions added.

I understood that I can set up my UK store so that Tax is added to all products, but in the shopping cart Tax will be removed if the country in the shipping address is outside the Tax Zone. Unfortunately, this isn't happening! Tax remains on countries outside the European Community in my cart.

I have read a lot of forum comments and looked at contributions. Knowledge base etc., but can't see what needs doing. Can anyone help me please?

Here are the my Admin settings relevant to Tax:

My Store > Country Set to "United Kingdom"

My Store > Zone "The zone my store is located in" This is left blank

My Store > Display Prices with Tax" Set to "true"

Location/Taxes > Tax Zones Defined one zone "European Community" containing 27 countries

Location/Taxes > Tax Classes - Defined two classes:

"VAT - Standard Rate" "Normal UK tax rate"

"VAT - Zero Rated" "Applicable to Books, Maps"

Location/Taxes > Tax - Defined two classes:

"VAT - Standard Rate" - UK - 17.50 - "UK Standard VAT Rate" - 1

"VAT - Zero Rated" - UK - 0.00 - "UK Zero Rated " - 0

I have no Tax Contributions added.

Have you already looked at a intracommunitary VAT contribution? I think that is what I used: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...,all/search,VAT. The shop I set up is situated in France, but I guess you have the same needs...

It is working fine! And in terms of where your store is located, you shouldn't ignoreit,t you should enter the UK. Companies in the UK will not pay any tax due to what I know. Companies in other countries in the EU will... And since you didn't enter the location your store is located in, how should the store know that he will not apply any tax outside the European Union?

Take a look at that contribution; you will need something checking the intracommunitary VAT number anyways...

I hope that will help you! I know this whole tax thing is pretty confusing...

Best greetings,

Karin

Have you already looked at a intracommunitary VAT contribution? I think that is what I used: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...,all/search,VAT. The shop I set up is situated in France, but I guess you have the same needs...

It is working fine! And in terms of where your store is located, you shouldn't ignoreit,t you should enter the UK. Companies in the UK will not pay any tax due to what I know. Companies in other countries in the EU will... And since you didn't enter the location your store is located in, how should the store know that he will not apply any tax outside the European Union?

Take a look at that contribution; you will need something checking the intracommunitary VAT number anyways...

I hope that will help you! I know this whole tax thing is pretty confusing...

Best greetings,

Karin

Thank you for your help Karin. I had a look at the "E.U. VAT Intracom Number". However, it appears to be asking customers for a VAT number, or am I wrong?

What I want to do is to charge VAT to everyone in Europe (as the legal requirement in the UK - where I am), but to charge no VAT outside Europe. Is the "E.U. VAT Intracom Number" contribution doing that?

If display price with Tax is set to true.

Then till the time a customer logs in prices have tax related to the store address.

Now If You want tax to be applied to some locatins only.Then create a zone and place those locations in that zone.Add a tax class and map it to that Zone.

This will do the trick.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

If display price with Tax is set to true.

Then till the time a customer logs in prices have tax related to the store address.

Now If You want tax to be applied to some locatins only.Then create a zone and place those locations in that zone.Add a tax class and map it to that Zone.

This will do the trick.

Satish

Thank you Satish. I made a new Tax Class and Tax Zone as you said. I also made a new Tax Rate, although I'm not sure if I needed it.

It all seems to be working fine exactly as you said!

Thank you once again!

Archived