• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

i have a question for USPS methods

jasyn

my oscommerce site sells car parts. some parts are to big that we can't use USPS as a method of shipping it out. is there either

1) a way to have dimensional support for USPS

or

2) select which products can be used with which shipping options?

Edited by jasyn

Hi Jason,

I'm having a similar problem with some of my shipping packages being larger than what USPS calculates for the weight class.

I was talking with one of my distributors, he charges one set rate no matter how big or small my order is, well over said amout of dollars shipping is free.

He had a similar problem and it was driving them nuts; who to ship with, how much, size of the package, the weight...

He found out what the flat rate charge, weight and package sizes are for USPS, FedEx, and UPS.

He figured what his most common size and weight packages are and matched that to the current flat rate shipping charge.

Sure if someone orders a lesser amount they still pay a few bucks more for shipping, but that helps even him out when someone orders more and the shipping cost a little more. In the long run he said it boosted sales, instead of so many smaller sales he is now getting larger sales. People what to order their moneys worth since they are paying for the shipping anyway.

Unless USPS can add a package size calculation feature to their API module, I might have go the above route myself. :(

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Individual_Product_Shipping_Methods_1

and unless you have amazing rates with USPS I'd just switch to UPSXMLv1_2_8_1 with dimensions support.