• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is there a way of shutting the site to stop sales for a week?

Mrs Minx

Hey All,

Due to drop this gorgeous little baby soon and need to find a way to shut the site temp - whilst in hospital and for about a week after - as sod's law would have it that lots of sales would come in and I cannot manage them at that time.

Any quick and easy way of temp shutting site (no puns!!) and keeping all files in FTP! :)

----------------------------------------

Minxy :)

"Keep plodding on to achieve your dreams"

You can install this

Down for Maintenance

It will give you a setting in admin to turn it off and on. The you can customize or put a message on there to say that the store will be closed for a week or two due to expected baby or what ever you want to put.

Search the forum and contributions before posting. If that doesn't work, keep looking, then post. The forum is for seeking help and advice NOT for someone to do your work for you. Try to do something on your on, if you are going to run a shop then learn how it works.

Fantastic - thank you very much!

I take it that its quite quick to turn on/off if I am in labour?!

Thanks again (will install and play with out of hours).

----------------------------------------

Minxy :)

"Keep plodding on to achieve your dreams"

It takes a few mintues to install here are some screen shots.

This is when someone comes to my store and I have it set to offline this is what they see. You can customize yours to show whatever you want it to show or say

offlinelr4.png

Here is the setting in Admin>configuration>MyStore It will place it at the first thing so it is easy to get to and it is as easy as setting true or false. So you can set you store offline in seconds.

offlineadmintw0.png

Hope this helps and good luck and congrats....

Search the forum and contributions before posting. If that doesn't work, keep looking, then post. The forum is for seeking help and advice NOT for someone to do your work for you. Try to do something on your on, if you are going to run a shop then learn how it works.

Hi Minxy,

I know you are probably just busy adding the contrib, but if not, you may reevaluate whether that is the best option for you. Your site will be crawled while you are gone and the maintenance page will be found and spidered, instead of working on your SEO while you cannot sell.

I created for another baby due an extremely simple module (3 little file changes, one new database entry) that allows your customers & search engines to browse, even add items to the cart so they can later check out when you are back, it will only not allow them to leave the shopping cart page to go to checkout shipping. A friendly message is displayed on the cart page.

Should you prefer to go this route, post back, and I'll search for the files (done a few months ago, but I kinda know where to look).

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

It has SEO rewrite for .htaccess to take care of that problem in the install of the contribution. It's fine, I have used it on another store and all my relevant pages still got indexed while restricting the indexing of the maintenance page. It will allow spiders to crawl your site while restricting customers from browsing your site.

Hi Minxy,

I know you are probably just busy adding the contrib, but if not, you may reevaluate whether that is the best option for you. Your site will be crawled while you are gone and the maintenance page will be found and spidered, instead of working on your SEO while you cannot sell.

I created for another baby due an extremely simple module (3 little file changes, one new database entry) that allows your customers & search engines to browse, even add items to the cart so they can later check out when you are back, it will only not allow them to leave the shopping cart page to go to checkout shipping. A friendly message is displayed on the cart page.

Should you prefer to go this route, post back, and I'll search for the files (done a few months ago, but I kinda know where to look).

I would like to install this contrib, if you can find it...thx!

Yes it does.... Pretty much all contribution to my knowledge do unless otherwise stated.

Does this work with osCommerce 2.2-MS2? thx

have you installed down for maintenance as it's 2.2 compatible, or would you still like me to get the little custom module I did?

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

I would like to try your module if it is 2.2 ms2 compatible.

sure it is.

1) database insert (create a configuration key right above your store name in admin):

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) VALUES ('Shop mode for selling or just viewing shop', 'SHOP_MODE', 'Open', 'Set to Open if you want a fully functional site, set to Closed and checkout is not possible', '1', '0', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'Open\', \'Closed\'), ', now());

2) in catalog/checkout_shipping.php AND catalog/checkout_payment.php, add this right under the application_top call (first few lines):

// if we do not want to allow checkout, send them back to cart page (closed shop mode)
 if (SHOP_MODE == 'Closed') {
tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));
 }

3) last change is in the shopping cart page: catalog/shopping_cart.php Define your own message text, and add this snippet right under the part where the stock checkout messages are shown, above the button section:

<?php
// (closed shop mode)

$closed_message = 'Shop is temporarily closed, please wait for reopening';
?>
  <tr>
	<td class="stockWarning" align="center"><br><?php echo $closed_message; ?></td>
  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>

use a regular define text here with languages files if yours is a multilingual store

as of August 2007, you can see it live here:

http://www.deedlebags.com

enjoy!

Monika

I close a store by throwing up an index.html page with a logo and a 'closed message' - and then I just rename (via FTP) index.php, product_info.php, shopping_cart.php and login.php to prevent customers buying anything or logging in. Job done ;-)

Add a ship delivery date module.And place the delivery dates that are after You are back to work.

if a customer can wait he will purchase setting a delivery date some days from the existing date.

Why close shop and spiders or visitors not be able to find the needed things.

Yes a message that orders will be despatched after some date should be there.

I can get You the details or links that will let You know from where to get his contrib.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

I close a store by throwing up an index.html page with a logo and a 'closed message' - and then I just rename (via FTP) index.php, product_info.php, shopping_cart.php and login.php to prevent customers buying anything or logging in. Job done ;-)

That's pretty much what the Down for Maintenance contribution does except it is just one file that you edit with logo and custom message or whatever you want to put on there. You don't have to go through the troubles of renaming all your files. All your filename structures stay intact. One good thing about it is you can still work on your page if you are the admin.

is this included in the installation zip? I would like the spiders to be able to crawl my catalog while it's offline.

Yes you site will still be crawled when it is off line.

the Down for Maintenance thingy doesnt work with the RC1 download

its something to do with this -

tep_session_register('aauth');

what would be put instead of that to make it work with RC1 ?

if (STORE_ONLINE == 'false') {

if ($aauth != 'yes')
 {
if ($admin != 'yes')
{
  echo OFFLINE_MESSAGE;
  exit;
 }
 else
 {
   tep_session_register('aauth');
   $aauth = 'yes';
 }
  }

}

sure it is.

1) database insert (create a configuration key right above your store name in admin):

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) VALUES ('Shop mode for selling or just viewing shop', 'SHOP_MODE', 'Open', 'Set to Open if you want a fully functional site, set to Closed and checkout is not possible', '1', '0', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'Open\', \'Closed\'), ', now());

2) in catalog/checkout_shipping.php AND catalog/checkout_payment.php, add this right under the application_top call (first few lines):

// if we do not want to allow checkout, send them back to cart page (closed shop mode)
tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART));
 }

3) last change is in the shopping cart page: catalog/shopping_cart.php Define your own message text, and add this snippet right under the part where the stock checkout messages are shown, above the button section:

<?php
// (closed shop mode)

$closed_message = 'Shop is temporarily closed, please wait for reopening';
?>
  <tr>
	<td class="stockWarning" align="center"><br><?php echo $closed_message; ?></td>
  </tr>
<?php
 }
?>

use a regular define text here with languages files if yours is a multilingual store

as of August 2007, you can see it live here:

http://www.deedlebags.com

enjoy!

thx!

That's pretty much what the Down for Maintenance contribution does except it is just one file that you edit with logo and custom message or whatever you want to put on there. You don't have to go through the troubles of renaming all your files. All your filename structures stay intact. One good thing about it is you can still work on your page if you are the admin.

Yes you site will still be crawled when it is off line.

thx, I got it working...just decided I prefer the other for now...keeping both archived though!

Could someone explain how the IP part of this contribution works please.

Both I and my Client are on dynamic IPs with our ISPs. I can see in the file that there is something about detecting IPs in this case.

How would we use this Contribution in this case. I want to find out before installing it.

Thanks for your help.

Could someone explain how the IP part of this contribution works please.

Both I and my Client are on dynamic IPs with our ISPs. I can see in the file that there is something about detecting IPs in this case.

How would we use this Contribution in this case. I want to find out before installing it.

Thanks for your help.

The IP address is a place in the admin panel where you can input your own ip so that you can still access your website while customers can not. If you have rotating ips (and you know what they are) then I would think you could just separate the ips with commas to accept more than one person...

I have this installed and I like it however I am having one issue with it all.... There is one value in the admin panel that you can configure to true or false which is this..

1. NOTICE PUBLIC Before going Down for Maintenance: ON/OFF

When ever I turn that option on it just supplies a blank page showing only the background color of my site.. I am unsure of why this is... Is it because I use a custom template or has anyone else experienced this as well?

Archived