• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Configure.php and Database Backup in Admin

Historian

I had problems with getting the "Backup Database" in Admin to work. Having finally got the path right and making sure that "backups" was set to 777, I still had errors - so I emailed my Host. here are my questions and the answers which I hope will be useful to someone:

Q. In osc/admin/includes/configure.php, approx line 47, should define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); be left empty or should it be set to 'mysql'? Does this setting depend on whether I am on a shared server?

A. Regarding the session storage option the configuration of this should not matter, as this will either retain sessions via Apache's session handling system or via MySQL, both of which are available to your account and for all practical purposes do the same thing.

Q. When I do a database backup using Admin > Tools > Database Backup > Backup I get the following errors:

Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/bin/gzip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/logonname/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/logonname/public_html/osc/admin/backup.php on line 424

Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/bin/zip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/logonname/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/logonname/public_html/osc/admin/backup.php on line 425

This doesn't appear to stop a backup of the database being made. The only references that I can find to this error, point to a setting in php.ini.

A. Regarding your backup errors these are being caused because our systems are configured to disallow PHP direct access to system files in the way Oscommerce's backup script attempts to access them - This does not prevent you from generating an uncompressed backup, however I have removed this restriction from the suffolkfhs.co.uk account for you to allow compressed backups to be taken.

Archived