• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK-BASED, DEFAULT OSCOMMERCE INSTALLATION.

Hello all :thumbsup:

Regarding the contrib 'UK-BASED, DEFAULT OSCOMMERCE INSTALLATION' for those who have used it, I would appreciate information on how to install it, properly. I have tried a dozen times, including my deleting and setting up the OSC package each time (twice today), then reinstalling each package, however, I do not see the results on screen.

It would be useful to hear from UK based bods, who have been in my position and who have learned by their mistakes. I have spent around 5 weeks to get to this point, which may or may not be time well spent? Having said that, during that time I have been lurking around this forum looking for advice on this and other matters and I have found many of the posts to be very interesting and informative.

Other issues, which I am having difficulty with include; UK shipping modules and similar localisation issues (counties, zones, tax, value added tax), installation of other contributions, adding terms and conditions to testsite etc...etc...

I am not a coder, but am learning, slowly, to work with OSC, therefore any assistance I can muster, will help me greatly.

Thanking you in anticipation of your replies.

Kind regards,

Peter...

Hello all :thumbsup:

Regarding the contrib 'UK-BASED, DEFAULT OSCOMMERCE INSTALLATION' for those who have used it, I would appreciate information on how to install it, properly. I have tried a dozen times, including my deleting and setting up the OSC package each time (twice today), then reinstalling each package, however, I do not see the results on screen.

It would be useful to hear from UK based bods, who have been in my position and who have learned by their mistakes. I have spent around 5 weeks to get to this point, which may or may not be time well spent? Having said that, during that time I have been lurking around this forum looking for advice on this and other matters and I have found many of the posts to be very interesting and informative.

Other issues, which I am having difficulty with include; UK shipping modules and similar localisation issues (counties, zones, tax, value added tax), installation of other contributions, adding terms and conditions to testsite etc...etc...

I am not a coder, but am learning, slowly, to work with OSC, therefore any assistance I can muster, will help me greatly.

Thanking you in anticipation of your replies.

Since it is an old contrib, just use the files to get the pieces of code to put in the new installation. Do not overwrite any of your files, and do not forget to run the sql file.

Since it is an old contrib, just use the files to get the pieces of code to put in the new installation. Do not overwrite any of your files, and do not forget to run the sql file.

:thumbsup:

Many thanks Coopco for your early response. I have read your reply and have just looked at my OSC again. The contribution overwrites files, since they have the same name. I have just uploaded both programmes again. Other than changing their names, I do not see how I can get around this?

Newbie question, when you say do not forget to run the sql file... I considered that once I had managed to get to the admin screen, these matters would be taken care of automatically? If not, how do I manually run the sql file?

Thanks, I appreciate your time.

Kind regards,

Peter...

:thumbsup:

Many thanks Coopco for your early response. I have read your reply and have just looked at my OSC again. The contribution overwrites files, since they have the same name. I have just uploaded both programmes again. Other than changing their names, I do not see how I can get around this?

Newbie question, when you say do not forget to run the sql file... I considered that once I had managed to get to the admin screen, these matters would be taken care of automatically? If not, how do I manually run the sql file?

Thanks, I appreciate your time.

Before you start, backup your database and backup your files to your pc. Copy your backup files to a place where you will work with them. So, you end up with two backups on your pc.

You must use a text editor, open both files and compare line by line. Uuslly contribs have the changes commented, but not always. Copy the relevant code to your file (copy and paste). Mostly you are overwrting the existing code, sometimes you are adding the code or deleting the code.

To install the sql script

Go to your phpMyAdmin

Choose your osC database on the left in the pull-down menu

On the right side, click on the SQL tab at the top

Then paste the code from thesql file into the textarea on that page

Click on the GO button and you are done

When finishing editing, ftp the changed files to your website. If you stuff up, you have your original back up to ftp to your website. You cn then start again.