• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Idiots Guide To OsCommerce

WORXdomains.com

Anyone know where to find good documentation on using OsCommerce, geared toward the complete idiot? Most of the documentation I have come across is geared towards the setup of OsCommerce. I'd like to have somthing to present to people after it's setup, to make navigating and using the backend administration features easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

The need for simple admin instructions for end users is common to us all, except where the developer is keeping control over site admin.

First, I recommend this contribution to create admins with limited capabilities:

http://www.oscommerce.com/downloads.php/co...ions,124/type,3

We created an admin named Homer, for a store employee who can only add and maintain the prouct catalog, and review and fill orders. This user is presented with just the catalog and customer/order menus. After sitting with a couple employees to teach them how to use these admin pages, I now would like to write a basic guide. (I'd like to cure cancer, save the whales and a few other things, too, but keeping up with coding and fixing bugs seems to use up all my time.)

Those of us who are composing similar guides should collaborate and benefit from each others' efforts. (But let's not call it "for idiots" just because end users are not programmers and system engineers -- the end admin users (store employees) are real people who deserve some respect, and talking down to them is not an effective way to teach.)

The osDox main mission is documentation for developers, those who are installing and modifying osCommerce.

There is another entirely distinct need for end-user documentation, to help the people who don't fix bugs or fiddle with code but merely run a store.

Archived