• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Does OsCommerce actually work on Windows?

equies

The reason I am asking is that I have been working with OsC for some weeks and have come accross a checkdnsrr() warning. which I am told is a Unix/Linux matter. On top of that someone on this forum now tells me that OsC does not work on windows?

A week ago I posted a request for information on this problem and got no

reaction on it (Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:46 pm Post subject: Problem with SSL and checkdnsrr() warning)

In order to access the login page I have had to disable SSL in admin/includes/configure of OSC, as I got the 'Cannot find server / this page cannot be displayed' page after pressing OK on the security alert window.

Great, so I can now access the login page!!

Alas I cannot go any further: when I press continue I get the following:

Quote:

checkdnsrr() is not supported in this PHP build in

c:phpdevwwwoscatalogcatalogincludesfunctionsvalidations.php on line 126

I supose the two are related?

I am using PHP4.2.3 in case it's relevant... on W2K

I then got a reply about this problem on the Firepages forum: here is what it says:

checkdnsrr() is not supported on windows ... I cant think of a workaround either, it may be possible to just hack the script and return true wherever this function is employed , though not knowing the application I do not know the possible consequences of this.

...and this is what I got on this forum:

If you are on windows, you wil have that error and there is nothing to do about it. Also, seems like OS Commerce doesn't like windows. We are trying to process a new account and it adds the account, but stays stalled on the page. Basically it doesn't work.

Any comments?... Can someone put me straight?... give me a solution to this problem?

Thanks

I have oscommerce running on a win98 and a WinXP box. Both are running PHP 4.2.3, Apache 1.3.x on win98 and Apache 2 on winXP. I get no errors in any facet of operation.

I do not have SSL installed on either machine, as they are not production servers.

It is possible to have a working installation on a windows machine, but I dont see why anyone would bother in a production environment, it is just asking for trouble! :) (other than that is what your company uses and you are stuck with it)

OK... its a comfort to know OsC does work with Windows :!:

I am preparing my site on a W2k box and intend to farm out to a hosting company who will most likely not use Windows - I take it that's OK?

All I want to do is check out and test the full workings and design of the site before I go live.

In order to do this I need to go to the log-in and payments pages, which I cannot do because I cannot get passed the SSL function.

In order to access the login page I have had to disable SSL in admin/includes/configure of OSC, as I got the 'Cannot find server / this page cannot be displayed' page after pressing OK on the security alert window.

Great, so I can now access the login page!!

Alas I cannot go any further: when I press continue I get the following:

Quote:

checkdnsrr() is not supported in this PHP build in

c:phpdevwwwoscatalogcatalogincludesfunctionsvalidations.php on line 126

I then disable SSL in catalog/includes/configure.

Still cannot get through!!!

Back to admin/includes/configure, where I set the https variable to empty (define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', '');

Still no further :cry:

I now go to catalog/includes/validations, where I change the checkdnsrr to true (if ($valid_address && ENTRY_EMAIL_ADDRESS_CHECK == 'true') {

if (!checkdnsrr($domain, "MX") && !checkdnsrr($domain, "A")) {

$valid_address = true;

Still no further :onfire:

So, where am I going wrong???

Apache 1.3.26, Win2k Server PHP/MySQl . . .

I run OSC, and so does my buddy on win2k servers boxes . . .

I'll prolly want to move it to a *nix server once I'm done with the development of OSC into my design. For now I have two instances of the store on win2k boxes, and it runs fine. . . .:)

Plus its easier for me to develope on a win2k box.

Archived