• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links Manager II

Running Links Manager II V 1.23. One thing I notice is when another user submits a Link via our website, they are not limited on the number of characters for the "description" field. However, when we go into Admin to approve the link, a message comes up now stating "* Description must contain less than 100 characters.". It seems the link submittal frontend does not check for description characters limitations. Is there some way to up this 100 character limit and/or have the link submittal process also use the 100 character limit on the description field?

Running Links Manager II V 1.23. One thing I notice is when another user submits a Link via our website, they are not limited on the number of characters for the "description" field. However, when we go into Admin to approve the link, a message comes up now stating "* Description must contain less than 100 characters.". It seems the link submittal frontend does not check for description characters limitations. Is there some way to up this 100 character limit and/or have the link submittal process also use the 100 character limit on the description field?

I haven't tested the following but it should work. In links_submit.php, find

if (strlen($links_description) < ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('submit_link', ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_ERROR);
}

and add this beneath it

if (strlen($links_description) > ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MAX_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('submit_link', ENTRY_LINKS_MAX_DESCRIPTION_ERROR);
}

Then find

check_input("links_description", <?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MIN_LENGTH; ?>, "<?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_ERROR; ?>");

and add this beneath it

check_input("links_description", <?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MAX_LENGTH; ?>, "<?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_MAX_DESCRIPTION_ERROR; ?>");

Please let me know if it works or not so I can make the change to the next version.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Found the options but what to fill in there 1 2 3 or leave blanc

i tryed all but they still come up

danta67

Enter 0.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I haven't tested the following but it should work. In links_submit.php, find
	if (strlen($links_description) < ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MIN_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('submit_link', ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_ERROR);
}

and add this beneath it

if (strlen($links_description) > ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MAX_LENGTH) {
  $error = true;

$messageStack->add('submit_link', ENTRY_LINKS_MAX_DESCRIPTION_ERROR);
}

Then find

check_input("links_description", <?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MIN_LENGTH; ?>, "<?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_ERROR; ?>");

and add this beneath it

check_input("links_description", <?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_DESCRIPTION_MAX_LENGTH; ?>, "<?php echo ENTRY_LINKS_MAX_DESCRIPTION_ERROR; ?>");

Please let me know if it works or not so I can make the change to the next version.

Jack

Thanks for your fast response Jack! The fix above seems to work fine here as it now limits the user who submits the link to 100 characters also.

Thanks again!

I just tried it here to be sure it works, and it does, so I don't have an answer for you. There may be something wrong with your installation.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The only thing I can think of is that you somehow installed the configuration settings twice in the database. That would give two settings with possibly different values. There's no way to know that though short of going through the configuration table in the database.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I installed "Links Manager II for osC (MS2 and RC2) v1.23" and I have a problem.

On the home page, link.php, are only first-level categories, I can see links. Could you help? I guess it's an installation error, but can not find it, as my programming skills are minimal.

Thee to my site so you can look as is page: www.marinasshop.com/links.php

Very grateful in advance.

rosmarinus

Hi hope you can help.

I have the links manager installed and its working fine, the problem I have is with the style sheet odds and even listings.

I am trying to find a combination of colours that look right with my current nearly all black template.

I can change the colour of the background easy enough and no question asked it works, however the font colour only changes the link description in either of the odd or even link pages, but it doesnt change the url or title font colours.

code from styelsheet

TR.linkListing-odd {
 background: #000000;
 color:#ffffff
}

TR.linkListing-even {
  background: #ffffff;
  color:#000000;

so I am guessing that I need to change the coding somewhere so I can set the styelsheet settings as above and all the odd link data and all the even link data display correctly(how I want them to display) rather than just the descriprion part of the link.

as far as I am aware i have version 1.23 installed.

Any help pointing me in the right direction will be graetly appreciated.

Thanks

Getting better with mods but no programmer am I.

There are some mistakes with the class codes. To do what you want, assuming you are using the standard module, in the stylesheet.css file, find

TD.linkListing-data {
 border-right: 1px solid #b6b7cb;
 border-bottom: 1px solid #b6b7cb;
 padding: 4px;
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 10px;
}

and change it to

TD.linkListing-data {
 color: #ff0000;
}
A.linkListing-data {
 color: #FF0000;
}
A.linkListing-data:hover {
}

Then in the includes/modules/link_listing.php file, find

$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) . '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_title'] . '</a>';
           break;
         case 'LINK_LIST_URL':
           $lc_align = '';
           $lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) .  '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_url'] . '</a>';

and change it to

$lc_text = '<a class="linkListing-data" href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) . '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_title'] . '</a>';
           break;
         case 'LINK_LIST_URL':
           $lc_align = '';
           $lc_text = '<a class="linkListing-data" href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) .  '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_url'] . '</a>';

The alternate display uses the linkListingMain class and should work properly.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There are some mistakes with the class codes. To do what you want, assuming you are using the standard module, in the stylesheet.css file, find

TD.linkListing-data {
}

and change it to

TD.linkListing-data {
 color: #ff0000;
}
A.linkListing-data {
}
A.linkListing-data:hover {
}

Then in the includes/modules/link_listing.php file, find

$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) . '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_title'] . '</a>';
           break;
         case 'LINK_LIST_URL':
           $lc_align = '';
           $lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) .  '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_url'] . '</a>';

and change it to

$lc_text = '<a class="linkListing-data" href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) . '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_title'] . '</a>';
           break;
         case 'LINK_LIST_URL':
           $lc_align = '';
           $lc_text = '<a class="linkListing-data" href="' . tep_get_links_url($listing['links_id']) .  '" target="_' . $openMode . '" title="' . $listing['links_title'] . '">' . $listing['links_url'] . '</a>';

The alternate display uses the linkListingMain class and should work properly.

Done these changes, and now I have the alternate black and white backgrounds and the font color is read on both odds and evens.

Can I change the font color on odds and evens now and if sio where as I was not 1005 sure where to change it., its certainly a lot better now than it was.

Thanks

No, the code won't allow that the way it is setup now. You can alter it to do it though. You would need to add an another class (or use a command to override the existing one) and change it on the even or odd calls.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, the code won't allow that the way it is setup now. You can alter it to do it though. You would need to add an another class (or use a command to override the existing one) and change it on the even or odd calls.

Okay at least now it actually makes sense to some degree, have lots of things to try and iron out, so I will look at this again when I have the other issues ressolved, but at least now I can have something thats reasonablly user friendly.

Its strange the more you do with this, the more you have to do and so on I hope to get it all finished one day, at least I have a working system now with most of the feautures I want working.

Thanks for you help Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Great contribution - thank you! I had little or no trouble installing Links Manager II Version 1.23, but I do have two questions. I have read all 36 pages of this forum and didn't see the issues addressed.

1. This is a new osC 2.2rc2a install, and I've added a couple dozen categories to Links. I currently only have one link, which displays properly. How can I change the links page so that it displays the empty categories, not just the one category that contains the link?

2. As I mentioned, I used V. 1.23 of Links Manager II, and I also have Ultimate SEO URLs V. 2.8 installed, which has worked flawlessly. My htaccess file does have this line:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

And in admin->configuration->SEO URLs "enable link directory cache" is set to true.

So I think the two contributions should be compatible, but my link page is http://www.mysite.com/links.php and the page with the category that contains my one link is http://www.mysite.com/-links-0_1.html. That isn't right, is it?

In admin->configuration->my store I have "use Search-Engine Safe URLs" set to false.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. This is a new osC 2.2rc2a install, and I've added a couple dozen categories to Links. I currently only have one link, which displays properly. How can I change the links page so that it displays the empty categories, not just the one category that contains the link?

2. As I mentioned, I used V. 1.23 of Links Manager II, and I also have Ultimate SEO URLs V. 2.8 installed, which has worked flawlessly. My htaccess file does have this line:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

And in admin->configuration->SEO URLs "enable link directory cache" is set to true.

So I think the two contributions should be compatible, but my link page is http://www.mysite.com/links.php and the page with the category that contains my one link is http://www.mysite.com/-links-0_1.html. That isn't right, is it?

1 - That is currently coded in the file. You would have to remove the code to show all categories. I think I posted that change previously.

2 - Yes, that is correct.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I would like to upgrade my ancient version of the Links Manager - V_1.08 with some patches. Since it is prehistoric, my idea is to backup the database, uninstall completely and install the latest version.

Before I dive into it, I'd like to ask you:

is the latest version php 5.3+ compatible (function ereg() - deprecated)?

if I backup the old tables, can I insert the data back safely into the new ones? These are old tables:

links

links_description

links_status

links_to_link_categories

link_categories

link_categories_description

Thank you for taking time making these contributions better.

Absinthe Original Liquor Store

I don't think there are any deprecated calls in the code so it should be OK.

I don't know that I would remove the database entries. Patches for each update, where applicable, are in the archive. That would be the safest way to go so as not to lose your links.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

OK, I went ahead and installed the latest version in one of my shops. On the configuration page, it shows:

Display English Links

Display German Links

Display Spanish Links

Display French Links

However I do not have Spanish installed in the shop, I have a Czech language there instead. The Links Exchange page is correct, boxes are displayed in all languages as they should be.

OK, I went ahead and installed the latest version in one of my shops. On the configuration page, it shows:

Display English Links

Display German Links

Display Spanish Links

Display French Links

However I do not have Spanish installed in the shop, I have a Czech language there instead. The Links Exchange page is correct, boxes are displayed in all languages as they should be.

And one more question when I want to add a new link manually in admin - links.php page, I'm receiving 500 server error - I'm sure that it is due to server settings, what function is there required please? I'll ask my host to enable it.

The way the languages are handled was changed from the version you had installed. If you run the links update file, it should reload all of the settings in admin->Configuration->Links without changing anything still needed. If the option is still there, it can be ignored.

Look at the servers error log file, or ask your host to, to see what it is failing on. It can be caused by a number of things.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons