• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links Manager II

you are correct,I am using the file manager option in admin, and forgive me I am new at this, when you say an external editor, I am assuming to save the database to another file work on it there then restore after I make changes, and all I need to do is the 13 steps then restore and then I will have areas for links?

No, you don't need to do anything with the database other than what it says in the installation. Making a backup though is always a good idea. What I mean by an external editor is one not on your server but on your computer, like NotePad or WordPad, although I wouldn't suggest those necessairly. There are a number of fine, free php editors. You can search the forums here for opinions. You will also need an ftp program. FileZilla is free, very stable and very easy to use, so I recommend it. The process is that you connect to your site using the ftp program and download the files to your computer. Then edit them using the file editor you've chosen, save them and upload them again using the ftp program. It may seem like a lot of extra work compared to using the file manager in admin but it has a number of benefits. One is that you won't run into the problem you are having. Others are that you will always have a backup of your files on your computer, the editor can have a spell checker (depends on the editor) and the ability to format the code, making it easy to follow. There are others still but you should use what works best for you. If you don't want to do any of this, your host probably offers a file manager in their control panel. You can use it without any problems.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

hey jack...i couldnt wait so i installed it.

seems to be ecactly what i needed.

one question though...

when i manually add a link is it its own category.

what i mean is do you add a new category for each link?

i dont see an add link section..just add category( link category ).

Edited by 2001kx

There needs to be at least one category in admin. Although you can override that in the settings so only links show on the shop. When you first go to Links Manager in admin to add a link, it will see that a category doesn't exist and will transfer you to the Link Category section. Once you create one, you then go to Links section and add the links you want.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Although you can override that in the settings so only links show on the shop.

Jack

how do i do this?

i want it to be on the main links page and not in a folder/category.

how do i do this?

i want it to be on the main links page and not in a folder/category.

Perhaps the option that says "Display Links in Categories" will do it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Perhaps the option that says "Display Links in Categories" will do it.

Jack

i just found the link options menu in admin...didnt know there was one

sorry.

i thought i had to edit one of the files.

Hello Jack, I hope all is well, I have followed all directions to install your links manager, I have learned alot with filezilla and context, Ihave transferred files and they seem to be showing up in my file manager, I seem to be stumbling a little, when I go to do the link setup I get error code 404 page cannot be found, I have checked my file manager and the setup file is there, could you please help me find where my problem might be. Thank you

when I look up where setup is located it is in my public_html file, I think this is correct????????????/

Edited by wergolf.net

That file doesn't need anything else to run so if it is failing, it is because it isn't where it should be, or where you think it should be. What are actually typing into the browsers url string?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am typing http://www.wergolf.net/links_setup.php in browser, when I go to file manager to check if file is there it is, then I check the properties and this is what they are http://wergolf.net/admin/file_manager.php?info=links_setup, if this is not the correct place what is? I think I should typing in what the url is? I have been looking where to put this file other than where it is???

I am typing http://www.wergolf.net/links_setup.php in browser, when I go to file manager to check if file is there it is, then I check the properties and this is what they are http://wergolf.net/admin/file_manager.php?info=links_setup, if this is not the correct place what is? I think I should typing in what the url is? I have been looking where to put this file other than where it is???
The links_setup.php file goes in the root of the shop, not in admin. It can go in admin but you have to run it from there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The links_setup.php file goes in the root of the shop, not in admin. It can go in admin but you have to run it from there.

Jack

I would like to learn how to put it in root, that is where I thought I was putting it, apparantly I was wrong, when I look at it in is in a folder outside of admin not within, it shows up in a folder just like images and includes ouside of admin, what you are saying is I can just type it in its current url, and all I have to do is open it in a browser and it will take care of the rest? Thanks again for your help

That's correct.

Jack

Jack, I am getting closer I can feel it, I hope you are patient. This is my new error code: I am sure I have something in wrong location I have checked and checked and I cannot find it maybe this code will explain:

1146 - Table 'ajl1266_osc1.links' doesn't exist

select l.links_id, l.links_url, l.links_image_url, ld.links_title, lf.expires_date from links l, links_description ld, links_featured lf where l.links_id = ld.links_id AND ld.links_id = lf.links_id AND lf.expires_date >= now() order by RAND() limit 10

[TEP STOP]

I have tried that by typing in absolute url it takes me to that page with that listing, does not do anything else; another error is above header:Boy if I am able to get this I should be a pro after this.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/ajl1266/public_html/admin/includes/filenames.php:62) in /home/ajl1266/public_html/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

this is all I see your name, down there , ------------, my contributions, and support links, I have copied and paste below what I see sorry so dumb.

Jack

Down there

--------------------

My Contributions

Support Links:

Header Tags - Finding relevant link exchanges - Headers Already Sent - What's my version? - How to change titles? - Preventing HotLinking

Edited by wergolf.net

Hmm, it used to be there. I must have deleted it at some point and never looked at it. I apologize for the confusion. Take a look here.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack I have come a long way, it is installed, now I am getting an error,I have checked it seems to be ok, maybe you can give me some direction, below is the error code and the php file for that code.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting ')' in /home/ajl1266/public_html/includes/boxes/information.php on line 28

<?php

/*

$Id: information.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

?>

<!-- information //-->

<tr>

<td>

<?php

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_INFORMATION);

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHIPPING) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_SHIPPING . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRIVACY) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_PRIVACY . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONDITIONS) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONDITIONS . '</a><br>' .

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LINKS) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_LINKS . '</a><br>' . // Links Manager II v1.00 added

new infoBox($info_box_contents);

?>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- information_eof //-->