• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links Manager II

Hi Jack,

I got this response from my host, 1 and 1:

This is an update regarding the conversation we had about the mysql error on your website. The reason why your website is showing the said error right now has to do with a the limitation allowed for your mysql database. The thing is the Max_used_connections allowed within our shared hosting package for mysql is only up to 60. You have already exceeded this limit since you have a Max_used_connections of 65.

Do you have any idea what he means by this or does this give you any incite as to what may be triggering this error message as it is only happening on my links.php page???

Thanks!

My main error message is as follows:

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /homepages/12/d188340574/htdocs/store/includes/functions/database.php on line 44

2008 - MySQL client ran out of memory

I have looked at database.php which is mentioned in the error message around line 44 and see this coding:

if (defined('STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS') && (STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS == 'true')) {

error_log('QUERY ' . $query . "\n", 3, STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG);

}

$result = mysql_query($query, $$link) or tep_db_error($query, mysql_errno(), mysql_error());

if (defined('STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS') && (STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS == 'true')) {

$result_error = mysql_error();

error_log('RESULT ' . $result . ' ' . $result_error . "\n", 3, STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG);

}

return $result;

}

I am not a programmer so I do not understand much of this php coding stuff. I have a feeling though that there may be something in here which is causing my error. I do hope someone can help me on this one as I am losing back links since their links do not come up on my website right now, just the error message. Thanks again for any help!!!

Hi Jack,

I'd like to remove the URL column from the table and use the space to extend the description cell, the link works from the title column so I think I can do without the URL column, it just seems to take up too much space.

My links page

Is this possible, if so how would I go about doing it please?

Thanks.

Hi Jack,

I got this response from my host, 1 and 1:

This is an update regarding the conversation we had about the mysql error on your website. The reason why your website is showing the said error right now has to do with a the limitation allowed for your mysql database. The thing is the Max_used_connections allowed within our shared hosting package for mysql is only up to 60. You have already exceeded this limit since you have a Max_used_connections of 65.

Do you have any idea what he means by this or does this give you any incite as to what may be triggering this error message as it is only happening on my links.php page???

Thanks!

On any shared server, each account is limited as tohow many connections each can make to the database. if there wasn't a limit, one site could cause the others on the server to not function. The error is saying you have reached the limit. I can't say why it is happening only on your links page. No one else has reported such a problem so it must be something with Links Manager on your server or some setting on your server that doesn't work with the settings in your shop. This isn't the sort of problem that can be answered in a thread like this though. You'll need to try to isolate the cause but since it is possible that the server is, at least, partially at fault, that won't be possible without setting up your site on another server.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I'd like to remove the URL column from the table and use the space to extend the description cell, the link works from the title column so I think I can do without the URL column, it just seems to take up too much space.

My links page

Is this possible, if so how would I go about doing it please?

Thanks.

You could try turning the option to display the url off in admin.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old version of Links Manager installed probably 1.07 circa 2005 and we are getting bot spammed to death.

Does the new version of Link Manager II have a way to prevent all the bots from submitting links?

Are you using Catpcha on the links submit page or some other method?

I really need a solution as we get over 500 spam links a day.

Thank you

I have an old version of Links Manager installed probably 1.07 circa 2005 and we are getting bot spammed to death.

Does the new version of Link Manager II have a way to prevent all the bots from submitting links?

Thank you

Just install antirobotics mode and it will solve the problem.

P.S. Anti-Robot Registration Validation v2.6 is really good one, which allows you easy control some pages.

Edited by AlwaysNewbie

Computers777dotcom

Thank you

The current script requires a link exchange to be entered and for that link to be valid so that will eliminate most spam at the start. You also need to approve the links so they don't appear unless you allow it. There is also a bad word option that will prevent links from being added if they contain words you enter in admin.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I noticed one problem:

If I try to edit link and then save it, it gives me warning that I should fill category field (category field is selected already in a combobox) and should not leave Reciprocal Page field empty even if I disabled Reciprocal Checking. So I cannot make any changes.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by AlwaysNewbie

Computers777dotcom

The category warning is known and is on the list of things to be fixed. It doesn't cause any problems though. I don't understand the second problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The category warning is known and is on the list of things to be fixed. It doesn't cause any problems though. I don't understand the second problem.

Jack

I was talking about only one problem: cannot save edited link because of false warning.

After your answer actually I recall another strange thing:

Because of that I cannot save edited link, I decide to delete it at all and then recreate. So I deleted old one and clicked create new. After I filled a new one I tried to save and got same worning again. Pretty strange. It was look like it something to do with the cache.

Computers777dotcom

• 1 month later...
This is a replacment for the Links Manager contribution. However, due to the many changes made, the code is no longer compatible with that version so I'm starting this new thread to make support easier. This version addresses many of the short-comings the other contribution has. Here is list of the major changes:

- Added code to includes/modules/links_listing.php and missing classes for sort heading problem with the standard listing box.

- Added code based on code submitted by rabbitseffort that presents the link exchange information in the links submit page is an easy-to-copy format.

- Added option to check for blacklisted words. The words are defined in a new setting in admin->configuration->Links.

- Added option to disable reciprocal link checking for individual links.

- Added a count option to admin->Configuration->Links that will allow links to be checked by the Check links script a number of times before the link is disabled. This was needed since some sites may not be working when the check is performed.

- Added checkboxes to Links Status page to easily change status to Approved.

- Added option of having nested categories.

- Added option of having no categories (for display - one in admin still needs to exist).

- Added code to check for the existence of at least one category in admin->Links Manger->Links. If not found, the code redirects to the admin->Links Manger->Link Categories page.

- Added option to display link count, or not.

- Added option to create a new category from within the links edit page.

- Added link category name to the links page.

- Added login option to allow link partners to edit their own links.

- Added option to Featured Links so that a featured link will be displayed on all link pages or just on the one it is listed for.

- Changed code so that the breadcrumb link has the session ID attached.

- Changed code in admin/links.pgp so search function works as expected.

- Changed code in admin/links.php to generate a normal link instead of an SEO one, which was causing some sites problems. If you want that ability, you should install Ultimate SEO with the update for Links Manager.

- Changed links_db_update.php script so that it will update the admin->configuration->Links options while keeping the current settings in place.

- Changed code so that the categories description is displayed as a true categories description on the page under the page heading.

- Fixed search code so it finds the links from any page.

- Included fixes from partial updates and items mentioned in the support thread.

- Removed extra code from links_check.php file to speed up checking.

- Removed the code for the Rating option since it was never implemented.

- Renamed to Links Manager II since the large amount of changes would cause support problems.

- Made many small fixes and changes that are too numerous to mention.

I didn't convert the language files since I don't know the languages. The format of at least one changed so I couldn't just do a copy/paste without changing the original. So, either way, something would be wrong with those files. Converting them will not be difficult if you know the language though.

The code has been installed into several shops and no problems have been reported. But there is a lot of new code here so it is still possible that could happen. In other words - backup first.

Jack

Jack I need your help, I was in the putting in links mgr II when I go to step 11 I clicked save and got this

Warning: require(includes/boxes/links.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ajl1266/public_html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Warning: require(includes/boxes/links.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ajl1266/public_html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/boxes/links.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/ajl1266/public_html/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

I tried to go to database backup and it would not let me ,HELP

AJ

The error is saying the links.php file that should be in the admin/includes/boxes/ directory isn't there. Be sure you have uploaded the included files from the contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Good Morning Jack,

I had host restore website, then proceeded to install links mgr again, same problem occured when I completed step 11 gives me error code and will not allow me to access file manager, this error will not allow me to procede, any suggestions, would you like to look at acct?

as soon as I click save after completing step 11 the error code comes up and I can no longer do anything, I cannot go to file manager, I have to restore account, your steps seem to be very easy to follow, I thought it was something I did the first time, but it did it again today

You can't install this in pieces. It sounds like you are using the filemanger option in admin. That won't work since it requires a working shop to use it but when you only partially install the contribution, you break the shop, so you're caught in a circle. You need to use an external editor to make the changes, all of them, then it should work.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons