• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I'm trying to get started with eCommerce--Have Questions

pgowder

Does that customer have to set up a Paypal a/c, pay X amount into it from his Credit Card, and then transfer X amount from his newly created Paypal account into the Business's Paypal a/c ?  

OR...  

Can that customer simply type in his credit card details and then hit a button, and thats it! No Paypal account created *for the customer*...

The reason you're not having success in getting an answer on this is because it's really "neither".

The actual process is close to the latter, however PayPal does issue a password to the user.

Patrick Breitenbach

Patrick, I'd have to respecfully disagree here.

For customers that do not have a paypal account, they need the following:

First Name

Last Name

Street

City

State

Zip

Telephone

Email Address

Password

Even though OSCommerce can pass most of this to PayPal, PayPal still collects this from all customers in order for the customers to pay the merchant.

PayPal is GREAT for people that already use PayPal. It's also GREAT for startup merchants, as theypre rate are low, and its easy to set up. However, it falls a little short for new customers that aren't interested in becomming a paypal customer, or don't know about PayPal benifits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

You're right. But the customer isn't "Creating an Account on PayPal" when they use the 2checkout ot pay. So they feel like they have to "Jump through less hoops".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Think of it this way: your order form/shopping cart is like an obstacle course. Each obstacle winnows out a few more potential buyers. So no. maybe Paypal won't turn off more would-be customers than registering at your site in the first place, but between them they will pare down your market a bit.

I can't believe it. I have a ecommerce site of my own, and the other day I was about to order something at someone else's, and I got to the Paypal thing - I actually have a Paypal account, but I couldn't remember the password (they do have passwords don't they?) or what name it was in so I backed out. Bingo there goes a sale, if he'd had a normal merchant account he would have locked it.

I got money in a Paypal account somewhere too, that someone sent me without asking if I took Paypal, and I can't figure out how to get it out.

Archived