• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Development of css for apple macs

denzel2364

the mac/pc should be a non issue. best approach is to use Firefox (a standards compliant) browser, then cross-check on Internet Destroyer, i mean Explorer. fortunately i have some friends with older PCs and older versions os IE, so i can check.

by the way, your site looks fine to me (on a mac) in either Safari, or FireFox, although there may be some issue that you know about that i don't notice.

i also notice that your DOCTYPE tag isn't right. check out the W3 site for the proper way to do this. for some crazy reason OSC has this wrong. correcting this single thing often does a lot to eliminate cross-browser goofiness. if your doctype declaration isn't right, then the browser has to guess the doctype, and they all guess differently.

osC developers, are you listening?! can we please have valid HTML in the next version?

rj

It looks 'fine' but not perfect. you can see all the things you should. but there are small errors when you compare from firefox. The website works fine under firefox, just safari!!!!

what is the 'W3' site? i havnt heard of it b4?

At work, i have a PC. - sorry i swore!! lol i can check on that.

... what is the 'W3' site? i havnt heard of it b4?

google, my friend. type in "w3" and hit search and learn. most useful is the W3 School Site, a great resource

sorry for the previous incomplete answer, but i was in a rush.

your doctype declaration looks like this:

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

this is the stock osC code that is at the top of every file. and it's WRONG.

check the link above to the w3 school, search "doctype" and you'll see that correctly, it should be:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

note that the capitalization is important.

try switching out that bit of code on the page you have trouble with, and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

also useful is the W3 Page Validation Service.

ps. i love Lorem Ipsum. have you found this Lorem Ipsum Generator?

• 4 weeks later...

You are so right about the doctype declaraton. When it is not correct, the browsers go into quirks mode and the result is just that: quirky.

One site I use to check for cross browser peculiarities is http://browsershots.org/ You need a bit of time (always set it to 4 hours) but the results are very useful. Just spent two days getting my product_info pages in IE to look similar to my preferred Firefox.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived