• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

System for ordering samples of main products needed

scotch33

Hi,

I have asked a similar question about this in the contributions forum, but it occurred to me that it was quite an interesting problem and would be possibly useful as a thread in general support.

Here's the problem...

Customer sells laminate flooring. His shoppers often request samples of flooring by e-mail. Now he has decided he wants to charge for them (at a small price) to cover his costs. He has l;ots of products in his shop and does not want to have to spend ages setting up 'samples' categories. Rather he would like to do one of the below.

Get a 'request a sample' button on each product page that would calculate a price based on a % of the real price - this could perhaps use attributes (problem - can't get a minus % calc as a price option)

or

The button always goes to a 'samples' product which includes a text box where the shopper can write what the sample required is (problem - how to get the text box in)

or

another method I haven't thought of! (problem - i haven't thought of it!)

So what do you guys think? has anyone tried this sort of thing before and what solutions have you found. Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!

John

Why not use an option?

Buy full product, buy sample. Sample price can be set as percentage. Think you need a contribution to allow percentage in options (only allows +/-)

You can add the option automatically to all products for him using SQL in the database.

Archived