• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Before I put my store on the net..

mensah

I have two questions:

How much are you paying in monthly fees to run your online store? I am planning for a clothing store. I have purchased a domain name, but I am not sure what is the best price for monthly maintainance and traffic fees?

I would also like to test out the software before going putting my products on the internet. Is there anyway to do that on my home pc? To run a "simulation" of some sort?

Thank you!

Mensah

well I'm not running a store, but the important thing is that you have a reliable hosting, so uptime at the max..

about test site, I'm running my home server with wamp (google it) where you could setup demo site for settings...

I have two questions:

How much are you paying in monthly fees to run your online store? I am planning for a clothing store. I have purchased a domain name, but I am not sure what is the best price for monthly maintainance and traffic fees?

I would also like to test out the software before going putting my products on the internet. Is there anyway to do that on my home pc? To run a "simulation" of some sort?

Thank you!

Mensah

Hi:

I use bluehost and pay only $6.95 a month (I paid a year up front). I've had good luck with them, and they give you a ton of bandwith, space, etc...

THank you for both for your help. Very much appreciated.

I have downloaded wamp, and will look into using bluehost.

I have another problem with my installation. I am stuck, here:

Reset the permissions on /catalog/includes/configure.php to 644 (if you are still getting

the warning message at the top set configure.php to 444 which is read only - this happens

on some servers that have been updated for security reasons).

Set the permissions on /catalog/images directory to 777.

Reset the permissions on /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php to 644.

Create the dir /catalog/admin/backups and set the permissions to 777.

Set the permissions on /catalog/admin/images/graphs directory to 777.

You need to .htaccess your /catalog/admin directory so that it is password protected. You

can use the password manager in your server admin area like cpanel.

how do i change permissions? I cant open php files without it asking what program i would like to use.

Thanks again.

THank you for both for your help. Very much appreciated.

I have downloaded wamp, and will look into using bluehost.

I have another problem with my installation. I am stuck, here:

Reset the permissions on /catalog/includes/configure.php to 644 (if you are still getting

the warning message at the top set configure.php to 444 which is read only - this happens

on some servers that have been updated for security reasons).

Set the permissions on /catalog/images directory to 777.

Reset the permissions on /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php to 644.

Create the dir /catalog/admin/backups and set the permissions to 777.

Set the permissions on /catalog/admin/images/graphs directory to 777.

You need to .htaccess your /catalog/admin directory so that it is password protected. You

can use the password manager in your server admin area like cpanel.

how do i change permissions? I cant open php files without it asking what program i would like to use.

Thanks again.

You can open php files in a simple text editor program. I'm on a Mac, not a Windows machine, but you've probably got an app called "TextEdit" on your system which should work to open these files. Good luck

Archived