• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO question about domains...

brahms2

Dear all,

I have question, maybe any of the contributors has an idea about that...

On the root of our domain we have the main site that describes our products with researches in the dental field, oral care, details about the company, etc.

Obviously there is an index.php file here with metatags and the rest.

Our store is located in a subfolder of our domain: /onlinestore/

The store has its own index page: /onlinestore/index.php with metatags.

Will this situation confuse the search engine robots, indexing etc?

Should we separate the 2 websites on 2 independent domains? Or it is ok the way it is now?

So far I have improved the relevancy of the index pages for both sites.

We have very bad ranking so far, and a lot of non relevant sites are above ours...

Many thanks for any suggestion :rolleyes:

Theodore

Every directory you have will have an index file. Those don't really have anything to do with search engines. I would keep the store and the main site together because then both will be helping the domain verifresh.com. If you had two different domains, you would need to promote both. Also, none of the major search engines use the metatags. You need to have your link on someone else's site. When the search engine comes to up those sites, they see your link and add you. The more they see your link, the higher up you go. According to Google, you only have to links going to your site (search for link:verifresh.com to see them). If you don't like your SERP, I would spend time on getting links to your site.

Dear all,

I have question, maybe any of the contributors has an idea about that...

On the root of our domain we have the main site that describes our products with researches in the dental field, oral care, details about the company, etc.

Obviously there is an index.php file here with metatags and the rest.

Our store is located in a subfolder of our domain: /onlinestore/

The store has its own index page: /onlinestore/index.php with metatags.

Will this situation confuse the search engine robots, indexing etc?

Should we separate the 2 websites on 2 independent domains? Or it is ok the way it is now?

So far I have improved the relevancy of the index pages for both sites.

We have very bad ranking so far, and a lot of non relevant sites are above ours...

Many thanks for any suggestion :rolleyes:

Theodore

You don't optimize a web site, you optimize a page. The search engines see each page of a site as an independant site. If there is no reason for the shop to be in the sub-directory, then it should be moved to the root. If you are just using meta tags entered into the file, they are not doing you any good. You will need to install one of the meta tags contributions, like the Header Tags Controller. The above statement that search engines don't use meta tags is incorrect. They all use them. There are more important parts of a page to optimize than the meta tags, but they should not be ignored. The end result is that if you optimize any page of your site properly, it will index well. It is just easier to do if the site is setup correctly initially.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The various algorithm's Google uses these days are really smart. Its alot harder for legitimate sites to shoot themselves in the foot these days as it was 5 years ago. That being said, if you are having poor rankings, you honestly probably deserve them. SEO can help a little; but these days, it only serves to amplify good and relevant websites - its no substitute.

Do your page headlines match query's typed into google? Could someone tell what a page is about within a few seconds? Design for humans - not the Google monster.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

I'm confused by what you said. You said "SEO can help a little" and then "Do your page headlines match query's typed..." The latter is the former so the two statements don't make sense to me. Was that a typo?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

Its debatable, but I consider there to be a distinct difference between SEO and marketing. I consider SEO to be the more technical side of things; like crafting sef URL's; including relevant meta tags and headers, etc. While keyword research is historically a facet of SEO; understanding the needs represented by those keywords, and then meeting those needs with relevant content and headlines is marketing.

All though these distinctions are not mutually exclusive: I would consider SEO the way you must design your site to be read by google; and marketing the way you design your site to be relevant to human beings.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

OK, I see. I agree that a site should always be designed for customers first. And I suppose that if it were designed to target a particular audience, that some SEO work would be done by default. But I would doubt that that would be enough to index well. It can be a fine line between setting the site up for both though.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Dear Jack and Victor,

I trully appreciate your constructive comments.

The fact and blame that we still have terrible ranking even though we have very high relevancy for people searching for "fresh breath" "bad breath" "halitosis" "tongue cleaner" etc... is on my shoulders :'(

I have studied all differents methods, but no tricks, just fair work, to gain a better place that I believe we deserve in this industry on the web... yet... any change is being taken in consideration in the indexes very slowly, I guess...

Also for example I tried to place a link in a respectable place like DMOZ yet no response after 2 weeks...

I believe we could improve the content maybe add more text and researches... ?

Yet I live under the impression we are missing some main point or we are mistakingly doing something terribly wrong, shooting ourselves in the foot somehow...

If by any chance you guys have a spare moment, and feel like criticizing my sites that would be much appreciated... we are really strugling hard to bring innovative really efficient products out there to this aggressive market... ooof... quite frustrating swiming out there with all the colored sharks...

http://www.verifresh.com

http://www.verifresh.com/onlinestore

Many thanks for any ideas...

Best

Theodore

First off, two weeks for DMoz? :lol: Two years is probably more inline with how long you will wait for them. You need to make changes to your site. If your link gets approved in the meantime, all the better. But I wouldn't worry if it doesn't get approved.

The obvious problem with your site, as mentioned previously, is you need a meta tags contribution installed. A verey common mistake that most sites make is that they put the name of the site in the title of the web browser. This might seem like a logical way to do it but is, almost, always a mistake. One of your products is named "Tube Squeezer" but the title of that page is Verifresh Online Store. There is nothing that will tie the title to the product so it will most likely never index well. If you install the Header Tags Controller (the full one, not one of the "easy install" versions) along with Ultimate SEO, you should see a difference in the indexing of your products fairly quickly.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Dear Jack,

Wil difinitely do what you recommend.

Yet, I was wondering if the php rather static pages of the main informative website (http://www.verifresh.com) is not enough for an initial indexing...

I want to hope that installing the modules for the onlinestore will make a difference in ranking.

Keep my fingers crossed.

Million thanks!

Theodore

First off, two weeks for DMoz? :lol: Two years is probably more inline with how long you will wait for them. You need to make changes to your site. If your link gets approved in the meantime, all the better. But I wouldn't worry if it doesn't get approved.

The obvious problem with your site, as mentioned previously, is you need a meta tags contribution installed. A verey common mistake that most sites make is that they put the name of the site in the title of the web browser. This might seem like a logical way to do it but is, almost, always a mistake. One of your products is named "Tube Squeezer" but the title of that page is Verifresh Online Store. There is nothing that will tie the title to the product so it will most likely never index well. If you install the Header Tags Controller (the full one, not one of the "easy install" versions) along with Ultimate SEO, you should see a difference in the indexing of your products fairly quickly.

Jack

Jack as always has offered very sound advice.

Yet, I was wondering if the php rather static pages of the main informative website (http://www.verifresh.com) is not enough for an initial indexing

Well no not really.

It has flash which "on average" is SE unreadable.

It has javascript menu which SE's find hard or impossible to read.

Although it has title and meta it does not have "rich content" to back up the meta.

I see... wow....

1. Still, how essential is it to have "rich content" on the index page?

What if this rich content is on other product/research pages that have relevant meta-tags and high relevancy?

I suppose that those pages will be indexed while the index pages will still be in the shadow... is that seen as a bad site policy?

2. That means you would recommend having "rich content" on the index page? Over all, may question would be if it would pay to spoil the sleak and nice design of our index page, by adding loads of "rich content" below the flash stuff?

3. Is there a way to make that java menu SE friendly?

4.If I bring the onlinestore from the sub-folder http://www.verifresh.com/onlinestore/ to the root of our website http://www.verifresh.com/ where all the rest of the main informative website is located, will this be a wise move, and improve the indexing, ranking etc (taking in account I will also add the 2 contributions Header Tags Controller and Ultimate SEO)?

Many thanks!

Theodore

Jack as always has offered very sound advice.

Yet, I was wondering if the php rather static pages of the main informative website (http://www.verifresh.com) is not enough for an initial indexing

Well no not really.

It has flash which "on average" is SE unreadable.

It has javascript menu which SE's find hard or impossible to read.

Although it has title and meta it does not have "rich content" to back up the meta.

1. Still, how essential is it to have "rich content" on the index page?
What if this rich content is on other product/research pages that have relevant meta-tags and high relevancy?
I suppose that those pages will be indexed while the index pages will still be in the shadow... is that seen as a bad site policy?

Meta tags, titles etc are useless if they do not match what the page is about in the "eyes" of the SE.

The SE's "might" look at the meta tags and title, they will certainly look at the text on the page to see if the page is about what you say it's about.

Is there H1 header text? does it match the title etc?

Is there text in bold or italic? if so does that match the suggested content?

Are there incoming links with anchor text that matches the page content?

You start to see why SEO professionals can command so much money.

2. That means you would recommend having "rich content" on the index page? Over all, may question would be if it would pay to spoil the sleak and nice design of our index page, by adding loads of "rich content" below the flash stuff?

Well do you want to be found by the search engines or have a pretty site that noone knows about?

3. Is there a way to make that java menu SE friendly?

There are SE friendly javascipt menus out there (basically they need to show a valid html link in the source).

But why use javascript anyway when more and more people search with javascript turned off!

4.If I bring the onlinestore from the sub-folder http://www.verifresh.com/onlinestore/ to the root of our website http://www.verifresh.com/ where all the rest of the main informative website is located, will this be a wise move, and improve the indexing, ranking etc (taking in account I will also add the 2 contributions Header Tags Controller and Ultimate SEO)?

The shop being in root will always help. The lower down you park a page ..

The less likely it is that it will get indexed.

The less "weight" that page will hold (pagerank for example).

Installing contributions known to assist in search engine positioning is certainly a good move.

Hope some of that helps.

I really appreciate your advices. I get to undersrand better this issue.

Yet the first question is not yet really clear to me, if it's essential to work all the SEO wonders on the index page, or it would be enough to do it on all the other pages that will have very high relevancy and will be SEO 100%?

Best

Theodore

The search engines see every page of your site as a separate site so you can setup any page you want, optimize it and it can index well. However, the home page gets special treatment by them and so you should spend some time on optimizing it. The minimum you will want to add are links to the pages you want to setup.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack thanks,

I apprciate your imput!

"Adding links to the pages I want to setup" means in this context to replace my java menu to some alternative SE friendly menu ... is this correct?

I found some on google but... is there anyone specific that you would recommend?

Best regards,

Theodore

The search engines see every page of your site as a separate site so you can setup any page you want, optimize it and it can index well. However, the home page gets special treatment by them and so you should spend some time on optimizing it. The minimum you will want to add are links to the pages you want to setup.

Jack

No, I meant links to the pages that you mentioned adding. If you add some new page to target a particular keyword, then there has to be at least one link to it on the home page if you expect it to do well, generally speaking. If you install the All Products with Images contributions, you can leave your javascript menu and still have your links indexed well.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I am am glad you guys are making a big deal out of the very techincal aspects of the way the site is programmed. BUT there are two things very much more important. Relevance, and Popularity. If you went and got a ton of quality websites linking to yours, your site would be considered much more popular. If you started posting your link around, and many people started to come to your site, your site would work its way up in the search engine rankings.

Why not pay $5.00 a day to google for a payper click campaign? why not post a few links a day on craigslist, backpage, etc. ?

I am am glad you guys are making a big deal out of the very techincal aspects of the way the site is programmed. BUT there are two things very much more important. Relevance, and Popularity. If you went and got a ton of quality websites linking to yours, your site would be considered much more popular. If you started posting your link around, and many people started to come to your site, your site would work its way up in the search engine rankings.

perhaps the "detail" you're missing from all this, is without proper SEO already established with your store's code, you're wasting your time and resources marketing your site.

Archived