• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

help!!! whenever i try do do something on 'file manager'

charliegv

whenever i try do do something on 'file manager' it says : 'Error: I can not write to this directory. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/adultse1/public_html/' what the hell does this mean and what do i do, it is probly really easy but i'm a complete novice, can someone help.

thanks.

It is saying the permission level won't allow you to Write to the public_html directory. Which, while being unusual for Owner permissions, is probably a server restriction.

You shouldn't use the File Manager anyway, get a decent text editor, download the file you want to change and do it in that. You should keep a local backup of your site anyway.

There are plenty of good free text editors out there, I use and prefer EditPad Lite. Scroll to the bottom of that page and download it.

It is saying you need to ftp to your site and set the permissions on the file you are trying to change.

You are not able to write to a read only file and need to make it read and writeable or 0777.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how would i do that?

Archived