• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check out my new site

ashley76

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ashley,

Just been having a good nosey at your site, it certainly doesn't look like the basic osc setup and looks very professionally tweaked. Firstly I think the picture in top corner is really good, colours are bright and really caught my eye, the "statues or bust" logo top centre however, looks like it was put there as an after thought, maybe because we naturally read left to right ? not sure what it is but it just didn't look right.

Had a good scan through your pages and noticed a couple of the thumbnails wern't loading.

The "Welcome to our Store! ..................." looks a bit crowded and hardly noticed the writing, seems a bit taken over by the pictures there.

The orange and silver works well together but I felt your products needed something more to draw my eye the silver borders are nice but didn't draw me in to the product ! if that makes sense. If you take a look at Batman with his blue cape, the colours draw you to him and make you want to have a good look, the others didn't particularly do that for me and felt a bolder more colourful border was needed to do that !

I hope you don't mind my comments, it's only my personal choice, please don't take them as offensive. :)

Hi Ashley,

Just been having a good nosey at your site, it certainly doesn't look like the basic osc setup and looks very professionally tweaked. Firstly I think the picture in top corner is really good, colours are bright and really caught my eye, the "statues or bust" logo top centre however, looks like it was put there as an after thought, maybe because we naturally read left to right ? not sure what it is but it just didn't look right.

Had a good scan through your pages and noticed a couple of the thumbnails wern't loading.

The "Welcome to our Store! ..................." looks a bit crowded and hardly noticed the writing, seems a bit taken over by the pictures there.

The orange and silver works well together but I felt your products needed something more to draw my eye the silver borders are nice but didn't draw me in to the product ! if that makes sense. If you take a look at Batman with his blue cape, the colours draw you to him and make you want to have a good look, the others didn't particularly do that for me and felt a bolder more colourful border was needed to do that !

I hope you don't mind my comments, it's only my personal choice, please don't take them as offensive. :)

No offense taken. I am looking for input. Thanks I will have to fix those thumbnailes... :(

Tons of work has gone into this site .. good effort. Nice to see someone making a big effort.

Consider the following ..

Connection Rate Download Time

14.4K 739.43 seconds

28.8K 375.01 seconds

33.6K 322.95 seconds

56K 198.01 seconds

ISDN 128K 68.00 seconds

T1 1.44Mbps 15.58 seconds

That is HUGE!

Also (and contributing to the above) the images are way too big .. I recommend you install ..

'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer using GD Library vs 2.3

Size it down a tad (load speed) and you are on the way to a special shop.

Tons of work has gone into this site .. good effort. Nice to see someone making a big effort.

Consider the following ..

Connection Rate Download Time

14.4K 739.43 seconds

28.8K 375.01 seconds

33.6K 322.95 seconds

56K 198.01 seconds

ISDN 128K 68.00 seconds

T1 1.44Mbps 15.58 seconds

That is HUGE!

Also (and contributing to the above) the images are way too big .. I recommend you install ..

'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer using GD Library vs 2.3

Size it down a tad (load speed) and you are on the way to a special shop.

which images are you talking about? the actual product images? or the template images?

Looks promising and could be great with a few tweaks. Probably was designed to be viewed on a 19 inch screen or larger. Viewed on a 17 inch screen it is just overwhelming. Text doesn't fit in the boxes and horizontal scrolling is needed to view the right hand column.

Actually on second thoughts there is a problem with the images because the contact page fits exactly on my screen. As someone else may have said, the images as displayed on the screen are way too large, in particular /image-2098581-10359182

Hi,

Great header image. Like the colors but...

I think it is too busy.... you have too much stuff. Consider removing stuff like currency, language etc from the header.

Consider reducing the width so that you can fit the page and text in the table header better. Notice *shopping cart* doesn't fit in its place.

Also would it be possible to make product images consistent?

I'll have to come to back and check it out again.

Good Work.

I agree it is way too busy. Hurt my eyes trying to work out where to look! Not helped by fact that frames around the boxes take ages to load and I would not have the patience to wait unless I was only looking with purpose of reviewing. This leaves you with an instant impression of wierd corners only on the boxes......

Customers have little patience and so you need to make sure they know which bit of the page to focus on first and then this needs to persuade them to stay.

Header is a really great start though :thumbsup:

I highly recommend simplifying the amount of links in your header. Also, you might want to consider making them simpler looking. You don't need a 'home' link, since clicking on your logo should accomplish the same thing. 'view cart' 'login' should all be near your 'view cart' section on the site. Maybe keeping the checkout button might be a good idea since its important; but definitely add a copy new the 'view cart' panel as well!

In regards to the busy look of your site; the problem is one of contrast. You need to change the background color's of the right and left hand side of your site; so that a person's attention and gaze will be focused on the content in the center. Diffused dark backgrounds on the left and right side will raise the contrast of the light background color you use in the middle. Just make sure that if you make this change, you make special efforts to keep the ‘cart contents’ section from getting camouflaged.

BTW: on my 1024X768, I am seeing the horizontal scroll bar of death, as about 20 pixels or so on the right are cut off.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

I'm not sure how long I have been waiting but I still haven't got all the images displayed yet.....?

Hang on, its just finished downloading images (was pretty slow for me) and I still can't see the "miniarrow2.jpg" imagine that is contained on the left menu bar? I'm just getting an image placeholder showing?

I love the vibrancy of the site and the design at the top is really catchy too! I does seem to show a bit 'jumpy' on my screen though, like its jumped out of line or something, not sure thats really the technical term but here is a screen shot to show you what I mean (apologies if thats how its meant to look, I was particularly drawn to the header "shopping cart" being on two lines and the whole right section seems to be spaced out a lot more than the other sections?)

I would say its definately professional looking though! Fair play to you for doing such a fab design!! :)

What I see:

I'm not sure how long I have been waiting but I still haven't got all the images displayed yet.....?

Hang on, its just finished downloading images (was pretty slow for me) and I still can't see the "miniarrow2.jpg" imagine that is contained on the left menu bar? I'm just getting an image placeholder showing?

I love the vibrancy of the site and the design at the top is really catchy too! I does seem to show a bit 'jumpy' on my screen though, like its jumped out of line or something, not sure thats really the technical term but here is a screen shot to show you what I mean (apologies if thats how its meant to look, I was particularly drawn to the header "shopping cart" being on two lines and the whole right section seems to be spaced out a lot more than the other sections?)

I would say its definately professional looking though! Fair play to you for doing such a fab design!! :)

What I see:

statuesorbust.jpg

Hi Ashley,

Site looking a lot better to me, no overcrowding of the 'welcome to our store ....' looks much better ;)

Don't know if I'm just viewing at a good time or my internet connection is fast ? but your site loads quickly for me. I think you've made some nice changes and it looks very appealing. The techie side of stuff is all over my head but visually i'm impressed with what you've done and wish you all the best with it x

Hi Ashley,

Site looking a lot better to me, no overcrowding of the 'welcome to our store ....' looks much better ;)

Don't know if I'm just viewing at a good time or my internet connection is fast ? but your site loads quickly for me. I think you've made some nice changes and it looks very appealing. The techie side of stuff is all over my head but visually i'm impressed with what you've done and wish you all the best with it x

Thanks! I am still trying to figure out a way to make it smaller (so it fits on the screen better)

Thanks! I am still trying to figure out a way to make it smaller

I'll refrain from gutter talk to answer that lol

I think your doing a grand job so far, keep up the good work :)

• 2 months later...

Archived