• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce versus/compared to other Browser-based Stores

curt0

Why use osCommerce over the many other solutions available?

I recently installed and customized a osCommerce site. But, if you search for "e-commerce stores", you will see many browser-based solutions, such as instantstore.net, quickcart.com, litecommerce.com, etc. They all seem to be very cheap ($15-50/month).

These seem to have all the bells and whistles that come with osCommerce, except you don't have to install anything and you don't have to spend any time changing templates.

Does anybody have any experience with these browser-based solutions and how they compare with osCommerce in terms of PROs and CONs?

Astawerksdotcom:

If a small retailer wants an e-commerce site, which route should he take? Even if osCommerce is free, he will still have to pay a consultant to install osCommerce and add a template. (The retailer will provide logo, upload all product data and images and process transactions manually) Or, should he use one of the many browser-based, pay-per-month, build-your-own e-commerce sites? Even if the latter costs $15-50/month, wouldn't that still be a lot cheaper than hiring a consultant to build an osCommerce site?

Astawerksdotcom:

If a small retailer wants an e-commerce site, which route should he take? Even if osCommerce is free, he will still have to pay a consultant to install osCommerce and add a template. (The retailer will provide logo, upload all product data and images and process transactions manually) Or, should he use one of the many browser-based, pay-per-month, build-your-own e-commerce sites? Even if the latter costs $15-50/month, wouldn't that still be a lot cheaper than hiring a consultant to build an osCommerce site?

He will have to pay a consultant because he's lazy enough to install it himeself or read the manual right? As of adding a template better find one with instructions then. There are far more advanced template solutions if you check the osc contributions section. Pay per month solutions don't work. Save your resources for a virtual server and a good host or hire a professional when you need him(if you don't have the time to learn the osc framework). Is far more efficient. Advertise to boost your store sales, establish a good clients base.

osCommerce with its contributions can completely outperform every other e-commerce engine available today. Examine the contributions install the ones relevant to your requirements.

And what bells and whistles? Lets see what happens next time your payment gateway or shipping carrier, changes the API, let's see how long it will take for those guys to give you a solution to your problem. Not only you're going to pay a lot in such cases but even if you do you may not find a solution, ending up with desperate attempts converting your database contents and features to go with another solution. Which is really sad.

And you think is a random thing that the most successful and popular e-commerce engines are open source?

Curt,

I have been with osC for a while and actually came by it when trying to find a solution to a problem with a totally different cart. I found osC very customizable and met all of my needs "out of the box" or within a public contribution installation or two.

At the time I found the template system in use very troublesome but since it is an open source project, I was able to help do something about that. :thumbsup:

I currently use osC for all of my non-profit clients and it is my very first choice for paying gigs as well, not to mention my own personal site. I have not found an easier cart to install that has all of the features included in the stock osC (as well as no advertising to deal with).

And above all else, the entire osC community sets osCommerce way ahead of the other carts you may find in your Google search. I have never met as many members of one forum who are so willing to help out their fellow osC shop owners. Other forums are FILLED with users who are rude, not-helpful, give bad advice and love to put down anyone who may ask a "dumb" question. Some of those people have found their way here but it is a very few (thankfully). :-

I have had the opportunity to meet some great programmers who frequent these forums and have made some worthy conrtributions. These programmers, including myself, are committed to the Open Source movement and that is demonstrated by all of the updates and new contributions to osC that are uploaded on a daily basis.

Well, if anyone is reading this, that's my two cents worth. :lol:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

ORBITMICR:

I checked out http://www.orbitmicro.com/ and used your search field but I couldn't find your "highly customized computer configurator". Can you provide an URL or tell me what I should click on to find it?

ENIGMA1 and BKELLUM:

Thank you very much for your insight and input.

ENIGMA1:

I looked at instantstore.net and it seems to have most things a person needs for his first, simple, on-line store. Am I correct to assume that if the client has unique or sophisticated needs, then use osCommerce? If not, use one of the pay-per-month, e-commerce ASPs (Application Service Providers)?

If the payment gateway or shipping carrier changes the API, are you saying that the osCommerce modules will get updated much quicker than the e-commerce ASP will? Why would the client need to pay the ASP for an update to the API? Wouldn't the ASP have to do this anyways for future customers?

I assume you had a bad experience with using an e-commerce ASP?

BKELLUM:

If you pay to use an e-commerce ASP, I don't think there is any advertising on your site...is there?

ENIGMA1, BKELLUM or anybody else:

I just spent the time to learn osCommerce and install it for a client. I also had to search for, add and set-up a template and 2-3 modules. I had to debug the template so that it works for all browsers. The client, a small retailer, will provide logo (which I will insert to template). The client will upload all product data and images and manually process the transactions.

How much should I charge for this website? How much is an e-commerce site worth to a small business? What is the hourly rate that consultants charge for building these sites?

Is this a situation where the client probably should've used an e-commerce ASP instead paying me?

I looked at instantstore.net and it seems to have most things a person needs for his first, simple, on-line store. Am I correct to assume that if the client has unique or sophisticated needs, then use osCommerce? If not, use one of the pay-per-month, e-commerce ASPs (Application Service Providers)?

You cannot tell that in advance so if the store owner wants to change his gateways or add features to his site so what will happen? He will change now e-coomerce engines and maybe blame you in due course. You should be well aware that switching engines has an significant impact to the seo and sometimes can be extremely difficult to port databases from one engine to another.

If the payment gateway or shipping carrier changes the API, are you saying that the osCommerce modules will get updated much quicker than the e-commerce ASP will? Why would the client need to pay the ASP for an update to the API? Wouldn't the ASP have to do this anyways for future customers?

If there're no updates, the site is not usable. That's not good for a merchant. As of the the updates here, well I see the information before even the gateway sends a notification email out to the clients. Why? Because of the exposure osCommerce has. And if you search the forum carefully you will notice that representatives of gateways sometimes post useful information about upcoming updates.

I assume you had a bad experience with using an e-commerce ASP?

not at all. But it's far more beneficial to use an open source engine and to choose from 5.000 modules. I don't only use osC for e-commerce I use it for other operations, data processing, analysis generating PDFs, exporting data reports to various formats etc. Many functions of my regular desktop have been replaced using osc.

How much should I charge for this website? How much is an e-commerce site worth to a small business? What is the hourly rate that consultants charge for building these sites?

The public forum here is not to expose or discuss paid services/quotes.

Archived