• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Backup dB Permissions

Brunswick

Hi,

Just uploaded my site from my own server to a host and so far everything seems to be going well. Ran into a little snag transferring the database. I had made a backup on my own server, then uploaded the backups directory to the host server (admin to admin), changed permission on the folder to 755 (chmod).

Yet I'm getting this error message:

Error: Backup directory is not writeable.

Configure seems to be correct because it shows the following path on the backup page:

Backup Directory: /home/.sites/19/site167/web/catalog/admin/backups/

Do I have to change permissions further up the chain as well (i.e. "catalog" and "admin")?

I'm kinda stumped. Help! :huh:

-Hank

If you have a backup of the old database then use phpMyAdmin on your new host to run the backup into the new (blank) database which you created. You did create a new database with a user and user password on the new host?

Vger

If you have a backup of the old database then use phpMyAdmin on your new host to run the backup into the new (blank) database which you created. You did create a new database with a user and user password on the new host?

Vger

Hi,

That seems to have worked. Imported the file right from my own computer and uploaded it to my host in one slick operation. It seemed almost too easy! :) Thank you!

I still seem to have a problem on the back-up page, I think. I'm still getting the same messages which means I won't be able to make backups of the dB using the backup function in admin. Any thoughts on this or am I missing something?

-Hank

Check that the 'backups' folder does actually have permissions o f755 by checking it with the File Manager in your Web Hosting Control Panel. If it does then the problem lays with "who" owns the permissions for your website - and for this you'd need to contact your web hosting company.

Vger

Check that the 'backups' folder does actually have permissions o f755 by checking it with the File Manager in your Web Hosting Control Panel. If it does then the problem lays with "who" owns the permissions for your website - and for this you'd need to contact your web hosting company.

Vger

Hi,

Thank you for your response. At first blush, both the permissions and the ownership appear correct but we're doing some further checking. Right now I've got my buddy, the sysop at the host chasing things down. I'll let you know how it turns out. At least you've given me some direction to follow. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Best,

-Hank

Hi,

Thank you for your response. At first blush, both the permissions and the ownership appear correct but we're doing some further checking. Right now I've got my buddy, the sysop at the host chasing things down. I'll let you know how it turns out. At least you've given me some direction to follow. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Best,

-Hank

Hi,

Another little follow-up. We finally got rid of the error message on the Backup page by changing the permissions on the backups folder to 757. Sounds wrong but for now it works. Meanwhile I'll check things out some more. Anyhow, the whole admin folder will ultimately be password protected so it shouldn't matter too much. :)

-Hank

if I'm not mistaken the best permission is 777, as fully writable...

Hello,

777 is readable, writable and executable which is why it's better to go to a lower number on this, I think. In any event, the instructions suggest 755, I believe.

-Hank :)

Archived